Shampoo

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by sabri.1996, Apr 10, 2018.

1. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

Hello

What shampoo you use in your labs and puppy labs?

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

None.

My pet dog and guide dog pups are never shampood, it strips their natural oils. They get showered (with the hosepipe outside) when muddy and Cowboy Magic is used for Fox poo. No Guide Dogs are ever bathed with shampoo either, unless they are on special medication for skin problems.

That’s all - and they are very shiny, healthy and smell-free. My friend used to bath her dog, he lost all his natural oils and became very smelly, so she bathed him more - a viscous circle. Ever since she’s started my regime he’s sweet smelling again.

:)

Isabell2merin likes this.
  4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We only use shampoo when Harley is extremely muddy. We generally use Pethead when we need to.

5. sabri.1996

Can you send me the link of the cowboy magic, you told about?

6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Cassie's nearly 2 -- she's never had any shampoo used on her at all. :)

7. sabri.1996

So by your responses seems that bathing dogs with shampoo is not so good, so ehat do you advise to use when they smell bad or stay at the rain and finish smelling like wet dog (in bad way)?

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

For rain I let them dry and they are usually ok for thing like human/ fox Poo I use animology Poo shampoo. For normal stinky rolling I do use DorWest pennyroyal shampoo its gentle and doesn't strip the oils too much. Rory's had at most a bath a year. Moo well when she was young it was decontamination quite often she rolled in some vile things, really vile.

selina27 and sabri.1996 like this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Cowboy Magic is great.

Zaba sometimes has smelly ‘boy bits’ - a quick wipe over and all is sweet smelling again. It works for any stinky rolling too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Mag...8&qid=1523382520&sr=8-9&keywords=cowboy+magic

sabri.1996 likes this.
  10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

On the rare occasion that we do bath (actually shower) our dogs I use mild puppy shampoo, Top Paw Puppy Shampoo is in the shower at the moment. I think we have had it for 3 years and it is only down about a 1/4 of the bottle. Lab coats are pretty self cleaning. If they get a chance to swim or run in snow they seldom need a bath.

sabri.1996 likes this.
  11. sabri.1996

My family old dog only take bath one time in the year but smells a little bit bad, she loves sleep in the rain and play, even in the winter, she has 13 years old, what can I do to help with the smell? some dry shampoo?

What do you think about theses products to hel with the smell? (Sorry the description ist´s in portugueses)

https://www.tiendanimal.pt/sanidog-toalhitas-para-caes-perfume-p-12727.html

https://www.tiendanimal.pt/champo-espuma-seca-para-cachorros-p-8998.html

https://www.tiendanimal.pt/champo-seco-furminator-p-10413.html

https://www.tiendanimal.pt/perfumes-para-caes-fragancias-p-5131.html

12. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I don't think that the occasional shampoo is bad, it's just that most of us don't find it necessary. I always use the mildest no fragrance shampoo I can find.

Swimming in salt water preferably followed by a fresh water dip makes our dogs coats feel like they just got a shampoo. It happens to be easy to do in the Pacific Northwest, because almost all of the beaches have freshwater creeks running across them every mile or so.

sabri.1996 and Anne123 like this.
  13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If I use shampoo now, I generally use "Animology Fox Poo" shampoo.
    Admittedly, I only use it if she has rolled in something dead, or the dreaded Fox Poo. It smells fairly neutral and has a hint of coal tar I think.
    Lilly used to swim weekly at hydrotherapy and had a shampoo after. I stopped the shampoo and just have used a rinse after a swim for the last few years and she is definitely less smelly generally (unless she had a rolling "incident").
    I am definitely a no shampoo unless I have to, but I may have a lower threshold than others. Smelly dog = No human bed :eek:

sabri.1996 likes this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I only use Animology Fox Poo shampoo if Charlie has rolled in fox poo. He is 7 years old and has never had a bath because he doesn't need one. He goes in the river and the rain helps keep his coat clean and shiny. Regular shampooing will strip the dogs coat of all the necessary oils to keep the coat healthy. x

sabri.1996 likes this.
  15. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I do a spot shampoo with the Animology Fox shampoo if Coco rolls in ferret poo, we don't have foxes. Thankfully he is a rare poo-roller. Like Charlie, the rain keeps his coat clean. He always smells nice. I like to bury my nose in his fur and inhale deeply.

charlie likes this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Just spot shampoo is all that's needed. Ferret poo, oooh does that smell bad? :eek: x

17. sabri.1996

Thank you all guys, I'm really anxious for getting my puppy and I want the best I can give to I'm

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh yes. Bad. As bad as fox poo (Belle was a lover of fox poo when we lived in the UK). We have a large wild population of polecat-ferrets.

charlie likes this.
  19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great that you are preparing so well, ask as many questions as you need :) x

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Never bathed or shampoo my Labs :) A swim of really heavy rain is all that is needed.

sabri.1996 likes this.