shedding coat

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by lynnelogan, Nov 23, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

how do you all cope when they are shedding there coat,.....sick to death of dog hairs, :(
    took him to the groomers today, then bought a furminator tool,....cost 50 pound, just hope its worth it,......do any of you use a furminator ?

2. lois

lois Registered Users

Re: shedding coat

I know Lynn think I could of made another dog out of all Poppy's hair I hovered up today, Nightmare!! Whats a furminator???/ :)

3. lynnelogan

its a deshedding tool,......just comb it and the hairs come out onto it , reduces shedding up to 90 %. well thats what it says on the box

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lynne I don't have that much to be fair but he's blonde...the house has to be hovered every day though or it looks like it hasn't been hovered for a week !
    I just brush every day with a mitt and that does us .....how did he like the groomers?have you taken him before? X

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We use a furminator and it works well. House should still be hoovered every day but I'm far too lazy for that I'm afraid ::)

6. Dexter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3403.msg37144#msg37144 date=1385225518]
    House should still be hoovered every day but I'm far too lazy for that I'm afraid ::)
    [/quote]

Barbara,I would be lazy if I didn't get it done....I've got help and I haven't got a little Lizzie to fill my time with much more fun things to do ;D

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Had a bit of hair in the spring, and a bit at the start of autumn, but apart from that, nothing. I joke it's because I've got brown floors and furniture, but really I'd see it in Charlie's pen and the kitchen where the floor is white, but nothing.

Still have to Hoover and mop - because of the mud!

8. lynnelogan

i have to hoover twice a day , and the pesky black hairs get every where ,......first time he as been angela,.....he was good,.....was a waist of money just got back from his walk,rolled over in fox poo grrrrr

9. Dexter

Oh Jasper.....you won't be getting that advent calendar if you aren't good!x

10. lynnelogan

hahahah he will angela, he is spoilt,....he as just been to see santa, photo on christmas thread :)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wow Lynne £50 I only paid £10 for the one I use only use on Hattie. I thought you were not suppose to use furminators on Labs as you strip out the necessary undercoat. I would never use one on Charlie I just brush him. Worth checking out. x

12. lynnelogan

not used it yet :)
    oh dear i didn't no that,.....the cheapest in the shop was 32,my flash harry son was with me, he thought this one looked better 48 pound :(

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lynne, they only cost between about £10 - £12 in Pets at Home, where did you buy it? very expensive :eek:

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I paid 40 euros for the Furminator, only use it twice a year when she is shedding her dead undercoat badly, but find it very useful then. I wouldn't use it all the time though, Lynne.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We don't use ours very often but if he's moulting we do and then every now and then to clear out his coat and we're gentle with it. I think we probably paid about 20 quid on amazon for ours.

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What does a Furminator do exactly?

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Rachael, it strips out the undercoat which is why I use it on Hattie due to her dense double coat, but I don't use it on Charlie ever.

18. lynnelogan

on the pack it says, reaches deep beneath your dogs topcoat, to safely remove undercoat and loose hair faster and easier ......i have not used it yet

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys :) Is it just a special kind of comb or does it sort of cut the fur?

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Rachael, it's a comb, mine is double sided with one side wide teeth and the other close together teeth so really necessary for Hatties' coat I would not reach the dead coat deep down as she has so much hair.