Shedding

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I know labs shed....since I have my first lab pup (now six months old) and wonderful companion.....am learning as I go along....do labs shed year round or at specific times of the year? Since I have no idea, could someone inform me if I should be preparing for a "hair" business??? These are very fine hairs that float in the air and then land everywhere!!! And should my wardrobe only have very light clothing? (Cooper is an almost white lab)....I look like the hairy monster when I go out in navy, brown or black clothing!!!
    Thanks.

2. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Re: Shedding

Hi Yvonne, I believe this differs from dog to dog and is dependent on various factors including the climate you live in etc.
    Many people will say that labs go through 2 shedding seasons but my last lab shed her hairs all year round, she was black so I had the opposite problem to you.
    My pup is almost 5 months and I have not seen any sign of her shedding her puppy coat yet but as Cooper is now 6 months he will begin to get his adult coat soon so you will see an increase in the amount of hair he will shed.
    Regular grooming is said to help but I don't believe it made a massive improvement to the shedding of my last lab.
    Anyway didn't you know white is the new black! ;)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry about this but my black Labrador Sam, now over three years old has barely stopped sharing his fine black hair with me since he arrived as a puppy , they roll and waft around the house like tumbleweed , just gotten used to it now, he is far far worse than my yellows ever were or maybe black just shows up more ;)

4. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

my 20 month old black lab as never stopped shedding :)

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have 2 Black Labs, one hardly sheds at all and the other a lot! Labs do tend to have a couple of times a year when they shed more, but also shed all the year round to a lesser extent. The one reason why I didn't have a Yellow Lab is that the hairs show up on dark clothes :) Whereas Black Lab's hair shows up in the butter dish!

6. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thanks, guess black, yellow or chocolate, they all shed to some degree....some more than others.....I will have to lose weight so I can wer lighter colored clothes instead of the "darks"!!!
    You are right....collection of hairs are like tumbleweeds...! I like that! You think something is running across the floor and it turns out to be hairs in a breeze!

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have both colours - so no chance!!

I vac every day and have lint rollers by the door.

:)

[​IMG]

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

ebony and ivory ;D ;D ;D ;D bright coloured clothes do the job x

9. Elaineh

Elaineh Registered Users

I started a post the other week about the constant sweeping, hoovering to keep the black hairs at bay. In a couple of weeks Nelson will be going in the sea and this usually gets rid of excess hair at the height of a moult. Still love though him though...

10. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

oh it never stops.... never never. we had a yellow before, and my house has hardwood flooring, so i always had lab tumbleweed drifting along the baseboards..... despite daily sweeps!

orion shows no signs of being any different... haha. his black shows up even more, though, against the pale-colored hardwood. ::)

11. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I have a dark walnut floor in the living room & a black tile in the kitchen utility room, so not so much of a problem at the moment as Bouncer is not aloud upstairs.

edit- whoops forgot to say, bouncer is black as a very black thing, trying to hide in a shadow

12. dosh

dosh Registered Users

hi,
    meg is a fox red,6 month old,and has been shedding bad for last 2 weeks,it is every where,even the garden is covered in her hairs, :eek:

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was wondering last night how come there was dog hair on my bedside lampshades ::)

14. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=7794.msg109382#msg109382 date=1410695168]
    I was wondering last night how come there was dog hair on my bedside lampshades ::)
    [/quote]
    Ha Ha. When our last lab passed away one of my girls commented ' we don't get dog hairs in the cereal bowls anymore' !