She's bored!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Mar 3, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Dear Agony Aunt,

We're at the end of week 4 of a potentially 12 week recovery programme for Lady after her elbow ops, and she's climbing the walls! She's still supposed to be caged when unsupervised. What a joke! She seems fit as a fiddle and stopping her from running, jumping, slipping and sliding AND butt tucking is virtually impossible unless I was to have her on a lead ALL the time. The recovery programme includes for all sorts of very invasive procedures she just hasn't had. I think I'll call the vet on Monday and ask if it would be ok to move things an a little.

Yours sincerely,

Driven to Distraction
    Tonbridge Wells
    ::) ;D :eek:

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: She's bored!

I feel for you. Can't be easy keeping her quiet. :-\ Have you tried clicker training, David? Now could be the perfect time to shape a nice hold or train for a sit present and to hand delivery. Whenever I feel like taking a day off from training outside for whatever reason I get the clicker and the dog food and train in my hallway. The dogs love working for their food rations. ;D

3. David

David Registered Users

Good idea. I have actually doing a bit of heel work and sit training on her walks out, but a bit of the same indoors would relieve her tedium.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Here is a game to relieve the boredom and get going with a clicker. It's call 4 feet in a box, and once the dog has 'got it' you can introduce smaller and smaller boxes. It teaches the dog to work with the clicker using a game that has no value and therefore involves no pressure. It also teaches the dog body awareness, and what her back feet are doing (which many dogs lack)

Pippa

5. David

David Registered Users

That's brilliant! She actually is completely unaware of anything further back than the line of her eyes. I'll give it a whirl.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Line of her eyes is pretty good I think Riley lives in his nose!! Good luck Driven :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Big dog, small box! - great idea for inside training! :)

jac

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

David you could teach Lady to ring the bell to go outside! Helen x :D

9. David

David Registered Users

I gave up on the bell, Helen. ::) It was probably me rather than her.

I have tried the stand-in-the-box trick though. Actually as I hadn't got a box it was stand on the newspaper. She got the idea in no time with all four feet on the paper. Great fun all round. ;D