Shocked at my best friend’s advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jazzmynn, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

We live next door to two beautiful male, neutered labs...a 5 year old black and a 3 year old yellow. Unfortunately, the black lab has hated Ariel from the get go, regardless of how we’ve all tried to introduce/reintroduce/socialize them. Growling, snapping etc over the last year. Things became quite physical on our property last weekend...the owners were at our place for a bonfire and their pups came over. A fight started immediately, initiated by the black lab, and ended with Ariel screaming and running away. It distressed and scared me immensely.

Thankfully she was fine, and has been social with other dogs since. We were discussing this with our best friends who are dog owners/lovers. I was shocked when they both suggested the following: Having the neighbors muzzle their dog, or have it wear a shock collar, or put them both in a blocked off kitchen area with no owners present...”they’ll soon figure it out”. WHAT?????

These are beautiful people and our best friends, and I was shocked to hear their suggestions. I tried to explain that those methods are so old school, and I would never consider them as solutions. I ended up in tears and didn’t want to finish the conversation.

I don’t know whether I’m looking for advice on how to manage the dogs next door, or how to restart my heart after the conversation with my friends.

Maybe I just needed a rant....sorry for being so long. I’m just so upset about both things.

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Jazzmynn - oh dear, poor you. Dogs fighting and appalling advice from friends :( of course having dogs by no stretch of the imagination qualifies many people as knowing what they are talking about :) .

Fighting first - I think they only way forward is to keep the dogs apart if at all possible. If the neighbours come round to you ask them to leave the dog(s) at home. If you've tried controlled greetings/re-introduction I would just try to avoid the meeting. Sometimes a dog just doesn't like another dog for what ever reason, same as we don't always like some people, although we may not go so far as trying to attack them. Ariel was fine after the last incident but personally I wouldn't want to place my dog at risk of another incident occurring if I could avoid it.

Friends advice - you are of course perfectly correct in ignoring the advice, a muzzle certainly wouldn't stop a dog attacking another dog, it just prevents bites (as long as the muzzle doesn't slip). Don't even go there with shock collars and the problems that they can cause and as for leaving them in kitchen 'to fight it out' no doubt - words fail me; but then again I was talking to a potential client on the phone yesterday evening who was complaining that her 9 week old puppy was dominant because it was biting them :(

Jazzmynn likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm sorry you are so upset and rightly so about these comments, especially when you have tried everything for the 2 dogs to get along. You explained to them that their methods are outdated and cruel, if they don't want to listen I would leave it be. Unfortunately through life you will meet people that believe all this rubbish, I meet them all the time but I keep preaching in hope of converting and a few people I have and it's rewarding to seem them train and treat their dogs more positively. :) As for the dog next door, I think not all dogs get along with each other just like humans. You could try again but start with the dogs on lead at a distance that they don't react and treat for calmness and very gradually over time you can move closer.

A good rant is good for the soul, so you go right on ahead. I hope you are OK. xx :hug:

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sometimes the nicest of people just don't have a clue about dogs.
    Sorry you are upset.
    Can't help on the training bit, but rant away x

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry you're so upset. Have a good rant you know you did the right thing:hug:

6. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Quite understand - rant away, you need to. The loveliest people surprise us sometimes - not always in the best way.

When we had to face the fact that our previous lab BJ was epileptic, my brother, the nicest, kindest guy you could meet, told us to have him pts because it would cause us heartache and cost a lot of money :eek:

7. redmal1

redmal1 Registered Users

As a child I had a little mongrel, friendly as you like with every dog she met, and she met LOADS. But there was one little mongrel that moved in a few doors up the street and they HATED each other. It got to such a pitch that the neighbours and us would scout around first before letting our respective dogs into the garden to be sure the other one wasn't there. They were both fine with other dogs, and all people, but just didn't get on with each other. Maybe if the times were different we could have gradually eased them into tolerating each other with modern methods, but as it was we just managed them both until they each died at quite advanced ages. It happened sometimes, we don't like everybody either!

selina27 likes this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

It's hard to reconcile people you like having opinions you don't agree with. Luckily you KNOW you don't agree with them so what's left is trying to sidestep any dog training discussions with them in the future. Unless you want to take on the challenge of trying to gently bring them around to your way of thinking...but that's another story entirely!

Otherwise, rant as needed here. :)

I really sympathise as I had some weird experiences with my foster dog Toby this spring in Spain. I belong to a walking group (nothing to do with dogs) and had known some of the people a while, though not good friends like in your situation. Still, imagine my horror with I brought Toby on the group walk for the first time and a couple members insisted he would not pull on the leash anymore if I simply hung him on it. One woman tried multiple times to snatch the leash from my hand so that she could demonstrate. Yes, demonstrate how to hang my own foster dog right in front of me. I have to admit, I could not see her in the same way after that. :(

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When we first adopted Charlie I contacted a well known Pointer Rescue Centre for advice with general training including abscoding. To my absolute shock, horror, disbelief she told me to tie a long length of washing line round his neck, I should tie it round my waist and if he got to the end of the line at speed he would never try to abscond again. :mad: If I had taken this "advice" Charlie could have seriously injured or even killed himself. Absolutely speechless, I slammed the phone down in complete disgust and taught Charlie a whistle recall in a positive way. xxx

10. Jazzmynn

Oh my goodness....I can’t even imagine anyone suggesting to hang their dog on a leash or choke them on a lead. How absolutely dreadful. :(:(

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions, they really do help.

It will be difficult to avoid the two interacting, especially once the lake freezes up. Winter is a very social time for a lot of neighbors to be out skating, curling, walking, flying kites, bonfires etc on the ice. As well, it’s the most opportune time to let the dogs off lead with no worry about vehicle traffic.

On a side note, (positive I’d say), when we came back from our walk in the woods this morning and were walking along the road to get back home, the neighbor and dogs came out of the bush about 50 yards ahead of us. The black lab didn’t notice us, but Ariel perked right up, ears forward, and watched him walk across the street. She looked at me for assurance and all was good. No lunging, barking or cowering. My only concern was that he was off lead and what to do if he charged us. :confused:

On a positive note, the neighbors are mortified that he continues to act this way towards her, so that’s been very helpful in trying to work through this.

selina27 likes this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What absolutely awful advice , just horrible . Its good that Ariel isn't affected by the attack , and that she looked to you today for reassurance , that excellent ,given the situation .

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad it doesn't seem to of affected Ariel. Unfortunately some people really don't think before saying things. I've had so much 'advice' over the years of having Harley that I generally ignore 80% of it as most have some sort of physical reprimand involved. Hopefully having a rant will help you x

SwampDonkey and selina27 like this.
  13. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Does the Black Lab dislike most other dogs, or just Ariel? If he is generally friendly to other dogs, I would think some extra training and socialization might work to get the two of them to play nice.

I've seen Cooper growl and snap at other dogs that offended her, but then get along fine with them after they worked it out. It never came down to a real fight though, just a discussion.

Stacia likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ugh, what a horrible thing to happen... And unusual too, most male dogs are fine with most female dogs... Maybe he had something in his past, that brings up a bad memory when he sees a yellow Labrador girl?

15. Jazzmynn

@Ski-Patroller - interesting question. There are actually 7 labs on our road :D 2 females and 5 males. All are fixed. I know he’s fine with at least 2 of the other males, but unsure of the others. I’ll put my detective hat on and subtly question the other owners over the next couple of days. I’m especially interested in his attitude towards the other female. And for the record, Ariel gets along with all of the others perfectly, even the nasty ones brother! :)

selina27 and Karen like this.
  16. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Sorry can’t offer any advice on the training front, just wanted to say how dreadful to receive such bad advice. I’ve had a few people over the last few years tell me my positive training methods don’t get results and the only answer is to give her a good whack with the lead or back of my hand. I’ve learnt to walk away, sometimes I’ll explain positive methods and I can see in their faces they think I’m talking gibberish.

I hope it all works out for you.:)

selina27 likes this.