Should dogs be allowed in bars and restaurants?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jan 29, 2016.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Interesting if slightly confusing (from the way it is edited) article from someone who thinks we should leave our dogs behind when we go out.

I can see both sides of this. But must confess, I do take sometimes take my dogs in the pub, largely because on shoot days I don't want to leave them getting cold in the back of the car while I toast myself in front of the pub fire. And because I am terrified of someone breaking into my vehicle and stealing them.

I totally appreciate though that for someone with asthma for example, that could spoil their anticipated pleasure of popping into the pub for a pint. I guess it's one of those things where we can't please both parties?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm firmly in the open access for dogs camp. I take my dog absolutely everywhere I can, and rearrange my life to spend time (and my money) in places where I can take my dog. I always take my dog into pubs, and everywhere else he is allowed.

I do think dog owners should be called out if their dogs misbehave though, same as parents and badly behaved kids.

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think its a choice for the landlord. Some people don't like dogs in the pub, while that some landlords see that "dog friendly" brings in customers. It just requires a bit of common sense on all parts.

I suffer from asthma and have a problem with long haired cats. I therefore avoid contact with long haired cats. If I went into a pub and there was a long haired cat I would try to avoid it, and probably drink somewhere else in future. I would not go into the pub and insist that the landlord banned cats!

pippa@labforumHQ and JulieT like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm so happy I live in Germany where I can walk to our local restaurant and take Poppy with us. It is very common for there to be maybe 10 dogs in the restaurant at a time, more in the summer when the tables outside are in use. And I have to say, it is very unusual for any dog to be there that is not behaving itself impeccably.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think it should depend on the Landlord etc. I have a lesson once a week and part of that is to take the dogs in the hotel lounge for a cup of tea or coffee.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

There are two yacht clubs in a place we visit. One is smart, and no dogs. The other is scruffy, and dogs are allowed. Choice for everyone - don't like dogs? Go to the club that doesn't allow dogs.

The scruffy place is often packed with people and dogs, and the smart place empty....customer demand will sort it out every time.

kateincornwall likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I lump dogs and children together. I have no objection to them being in the same room as me, as long as they're not being irritating. A child running around screaming is as equally irritating as a dog running around barking. In both cases, the responsible "owner" would ensure their charge is under control and well behaved. If they can't behave appropriately, they should be removed.
    When at home, I generally wouldn't take my dogs to a regular indoor restaurant. If we're sitting outside, then, yes. If I'm staying in a dog-friendly hotel, I'd rather take them with me to dine in the lounge/bar than leave them in an unfamiliar room.

I think that taking them to a public place like this on occasion is enriching for them; they meet new people and have to cope with new experiences. Learning to settle in a bustling environment is a great skill to have.

I have some sympathy for people who suffer from allergies, but the places we go to are large enough that you'd have to be an acute sufferer to have any issues. I've only had one person in the last year tell me he had allergies, and he still stood with us, so it couldn't have been that bad!

Karen and Bruer like this.
  8. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

When we go to Yorkshire they are so dog friendly and are welcome nearly everywhere, pubs, cafes, shops etc A lot of places have water at the door for thirsty dogs. Sadly this can't be said up here in Ayrshire :(

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My husband and I have owned pubs/restaurants before we retired . We used to display a sign, slightly tongue in cheek, saying " Dogs welcome , well behaved children on leads please " . In all honesty , and as a Nanny to 16 , I can say that children caused far more hassle ( running riot and annoying other diners ) than dogs ever did . I guess it depends on the venue , being in a tourist area , most people can choose a pub which allows dogs and have a reasonable choice , they are generally extremely popular , and busy :)

Karen, Oberon, snowbunny and 3 others like this.
  10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I think as long as a dog is well behaved they should be allowed in pubs, cafes, shops etc. I take Mabel everywhere with me and if she's not welcome then I'll happily leave and spend my money somewhere else. This at times has been a little restricting but that's how it is she's a member of my family.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'm a bit ambivalent on this. While I love my dog to bits I don't feel the need to take her everywhere with me. On the other hand I like to be able to take her out and about with us and not be relegated to pub beer gardens in January. Having just moved back from France I really notice the difference in attitude and acceptance of dogs in bars, restaurants hotels etc. and I'm in an area which is quite dog friendly (even if I wish people would stop reaching to stroke and speak to Juno!!). Then again I'd love to ban children from restaurants so I could enjoy a meal out without being subjected to other peoples children crying, screaming and running around the tables.

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Dogs are allowed in bars and restaurants - service dogs. People with allergies are able to take medication (my son is allergic to dogs - he simply takes the antihistamines when he comes home)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I work, the time I have outside of work is precious to both me and my dog, and so I definitely feel the need to involve my dog in everything I do. If I didn't work, and had hours of dog time, it might be different. I remember my recently retired neighbours actually having to make an effort to go and find something to do so their young puppy got used to being home alone. Different universe!

I find London very dog friendly - with the exception of shops, which drives me a bit potty, although the dry cleaner has now relented and does let me step inside with Charlie to pick up my stuff. :rolleyes:

14. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

They are not allowed in Ontario, Canada unless it's a service dog. Service dogs can be hard to determine as they don't all wear identifying vests or collars. Even obviously allowed dogs, like guide dogs for the blind, have been refused entry in cases that make the news. Then there are people who abuse the system, like a gal I worked with who told store owners her two GR were guide dogs in training. If they were they should have had vests on but the store owners didn't know that. I think our system where some are allowed but not others, while the reasoning makes sense, makes for more difficulty for the legitimate ones.

15. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

We've been taking Bob to pubs and cafes ever since he was a little pup. Fortunately our town is very accommodating as there is lots of walking nearby and its touristy.

However Bob is having some issues with aggression now so we will probably not be taking him anymore until it's resolved. Such a shame because he used to be so good :(

Like previous posters. I'm in full agreement with dogs in these sorts of places as long as they are very well behaved!

16. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I had a slightly odd experience with taking the dogs in places. I went on a sponsored walk for GDBA last autumn and went to take the dogs into a very remote cafe in the moors. The cafe owner allowed the guide dog in but not my two, despite there being absolutely no-one else around for miles! The reason given was that other customers (none!) may not like dogs. Unfortunately I couldn't take my custom elsewhere as there was nowhere to go.

As a general rule as long as your dog is clean and dry and behaving calmly and quietly I see no reason not to allow them in.

17. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

It is up to the landlord and it is the dog owners responsibility to abide by the rules of the house. I am aware that the rules are more relaxed on the continent particularly in France where the popular dogs tend to be the lap dog type are often found under the table in most restaurants. Personally, I would never take my dog anywhere where food is being served and were I to find myself in that situation, I would leave immediately.

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

That's interesting. I've eaten in many restaurants in France, including Parisian hotels, where dogs were quietly sitting under tables or on laps while their owners ate meals with no problems whatsoever.

I am confused by some pubs saying dogs are welcome but not while food is being served. I question the logic behind it as my dog is not coming into contact with the food by sitting under the table

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I eat and have my dog with me in pubs while food is being served. Why not? He's on the floor....he also lies by the table on his mat at home while we eat. What's the difference?

TinaM likes this.
  20. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

....................because I respect that not everyone like dogs!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016