Sick pup.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rolo has just been sick. Probably due to the antibiotics. Do I feed him as usual? He is due to be fed in half an hour.

Sorry I know I should know this. I know what to do for kids but not pups.

2. WillowAndLottie

WillowAndLottie Registered Users

Re: Sick pup.

I'd hold off for a little while. Make sure he's drinking, and if he seems okay later on, then a small feed (of cooled rice if you want to) is what I'd do. Most of the time when dogs throw up its nothing bad - my girl threw up this morning, ate it (shes too fast) and then had normal lunch an hour later, and she's fine! If he gets diarrhea its a bit different but usually it's fine to feed them.

3. Rolokris

I didn't feed him his lunch, he wouldn't have bothered anyway I'm sure. Very lethargic. I have just spoke to the vet and she has advised I don't give tonight's or tomorrow mornings anti biotic. She doesn't think the vomiting is due to the antibiotics because he's been on them for 6 days without any problems. Going to offer him some chicken and rice later and again in the morning and see how he goes. He hasn't vomited since midday but he's not himself.

4. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Oh no.. disregard my other post.. sorry to hear Rolo is still feeling unwell :( he's really been through the wars hasn't he bless him. Just as well he's got a lovely new bed to lay in... hopefully that'll make him feel a bit better at least...

Lou x

5. Rolokris

Bless you Lou. Cooking the chicken and rice.

Slightly concerned tho. My youngest was stroking him and he barked and kind of went for him, I told my son be gentle darling he's not feeling well and is probably a bit grouchy after he stopped crying we both stroked him and gave him some tummy rubs all was ok and then out of nowhere he bit him! They don't have a great relationship to start with. Then my daughter came downstairs because she heard Josh crying and stroked Rolo he was licking her hand and being so gentle then nipped her face. Is this normal?

6. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

??? I would say no...and that he's hurting. I'd call the vet again if it were happening in my house.

poor Rolo...hope you can get fixed up right quick :'( Bella sends gentle licks

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree - I would see if you can speak to the vet. As Sunsetpines said, it's possibie that he's got some pain somewhere and the children got the sore spot when patting him.

Has he pooped lately?

8. Rolokris

About 8 am ish.

9. Oberon

What was it like, and would he have normally done another one by now?

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh poor things.....is there an ongoing story here? I think I must be missing something
    :(

11. Rolokris

Firm actually. Yes he normally would have had a poop but he hasn't eaten since breakfast.

12. Rolokris

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=8968.msg127906#msg127906 date=1417547743]
    Oh poor things.....is there an ongoing story here? I think I must be missing something
    :(
    [/quote]

Rolo is 18 weeks and on antibiotics. They do have side effects of vomiting but he has been on them for 6 days. He is on them because he has campylabacter. He's ok with me stroking him everywhere but not the kids. Worried.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=8968.msg127908#msg127908 date=1417547925]
    Rolo is 18 weeks and on antibiotics. They do have side effects of vomiting but he has been on them for 6 days. He is on them because he has campylabacter. He's ok with me stroking him everywhere but not the kids. Worried.
    [/quote]
    Ah yes....sorry..... :-[
    I hope he doesn't have to stay on the antibiotics too long, if the vet reckons this is what is upsetting him.
    What a shame for Rolo and the kids too.

14. Rolokris

Yeah they are really upset bless em. Just been out for a poo and it's like a bullet he passed in size and firmness. He wanted to do more but couldn't strain any more. He's hardly had anything to drink tho. Just had a few gulps.

15. Oberon

It's always so worrying when they're not 100%...

Just read your post. Sounds a bit constipated. That could certainly explain a bit of pain and tetchiness.

Will he drink any chicken stock or milk?

16. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Poor baby. Sorry to hear he's not feeling well. Get better soon, Rolo.

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor boy :'( hope he's feeling better soon x

18. Rolokris

Rolo update:

He is back to the little mischievous Rolo I know and love leaping about this morning for his breakfast which he has kept down and gone on to have his lunch no problems. Bless him. Will re-start the antibiotics tonight and see how he goes. Bless him.

Thank you for all of your advice guys as always you are there when I need you. :*

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Glad to hear that he is feeling much better :) One tip I always think is worth passing on is this : When a dog isn't well and on the rice/chicken/white fish regime , make sure that the rice is very watery, don't strain it too much , leave it quite sloppy , this can help to stave off dehydration :)

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Glad Rolo is on the mend. He is a poorly little man, isn't he? :(