Sick!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Ok as most of you know Rolo is my first pet, let alone first dog. Found him retching and threw all his tea up and then gobbled the whole thing back down. Is this normal? His tummy is really gargling and making swooshing sounds. Poor lamb.

Kris

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Sick!

Sometimes dogs will regurgitate their food and eat it again. It gives them a second chance at digesting. Keep an eye on him and see if he seems fine in himself, but as a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Luckily, I had read about this before Willow regurgitated a chicken bone and started crunching it up for a second time. Gross. :eek:

3. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

It's really gross when one regurgitates and the other tries to gobble it up :eek:

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It is normal for them to eat it again ??? keep an eye on him overnight just incase, but every time Harley has done this, she has been fine not long after :)

5. Rolokris

OMG, Rolo has just started barking in his crate 01.12am he has been sick again. I open his crate and he comes out. I have noticed something on the floor it's one of my daugthers socks I go to pick it up and Rolo is guarding it I distract him with kibble and remove it and it's all wet and disgusting. About 3 days ago my daugther lost a pair of socks we found one but couldn't find the other I just thought it will show up under something. No Rolo must have eaten it. I am so shocked. Will call the vet tomorrow. I was close with my subject it should have read sock not sick! That can't have done him any good hey?

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, he's sicked it up so it hasn't done my harm, either. Other than an upset tum, of course. How the stuff they eat doesn't do serious damage, I don't know, but I'm very glad that generally it comes out one end or the other.... ::)

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh Rolo, that's a good one!
    Just be glad it came out that end and not the other...

8. snowbunny

Haha, good one Rolo! I'm sure the vet won't be in the slightest bit fazed or surprised and I'm sure Rolo will be fine, too.

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8707.msg123345#msg123345 date=1415784911]
    Just be glad it came out that end and not the other...
    [/quote]

And this ^. So much this. :D

9. Rolokris

I watched a rspca kind of programme the other day and it had a dog that had eaten it's whole bed, the vet said once it starts there is no going back and has to eat the whole thing, they did surgery and removed the whole bed but the next day the dog died! That really scared me, he is just so fast and pinches things, even though I supervise his every move!

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Thank goodness he's ok !

I got off lightly with my lab, he didn't chew too much and didn't eat stuff. The spaniel is, I think, going to be quite, quite different :eek:

Constant vigilance ::) ::) ::)

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yuck! Glad Rolo is Ok...they are such a worry.... ::) :)

12. chrism

chrism Registered Users

Any thoughts on how to stop a dog from eating a couch?. We decided it would be a sacrificial couch, hoping that Sara wouldn't eat the good furniture, but we thought she'd just go for the legs.

13. snowbunny

[quote author=chrism link=topic=8707.msg123422#msg123422 date=1415807017]
    Any thoughts on how to stop a dog from eating a couch?. We decided it would be a sacrificial couch, hoping that Sara wouldn't eat the good furniture, but we thought she'd just go for the legs.
    [/quote]

Willow started chewing the back of one of our sofas, and I was worried because they're electric recliners with cables back there, albeit, they're unplugged until the dogs grow up. I just gave her a "no" every time she started on it, and sprayed it liberally with bitter apple and she no longer worries over it. Can you do that?

14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm a huge fan of the Chew Deterrent sprays (Pets At Home do one). Saved our furniture and wiring.

15. Rolokris

I need to try the bitter apple spray as Rolo likes the pets at home chew detterent spray! I was told to try hairspray but surely that can't be any good for the poor little lambs so I haven't tried that.

16. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

The deterant sprays just dont seem to work with Bouncer. He justs assumes its a treat.

17. snowbunny

I tried two different ones and they didn't work. But the bitter apple seems to do the trick. I've read about making your own with some hot dried chillies in water, left to soak until the heat goes into the water. I'm glad the apple works and I don't have to try that one!

18. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8707.msg123489#msg123489 date=1415821625]
    I tried two different ones and they didn't work. But the bitter apple seems to do the trick. I've read about making your own with some hot dried chillies in water, left to soak until the heat goes into the water. I'm glad the apple works and I don't have to try that one!
    [/quote]

I 100% garantee he would still eat that. :eek:

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I used washing up liquid with a very liberal amount of chilli powder and "painted" it on to hard surfaces with an old pastry brush.
    Pretty effective. Didn't seem to harm her any. Not a very "posistive training method" though in hindsight :D but if it saves your furniture.
    Just wipes of with hot water in due course.

20. chrism

chrism Registered Users

The stuff I'm usig does't specify what the bitter thing is. I'll try the bitter apple. Although, Snowbunny, the chilli thing sounds like the begining of a good recipe. :)