Singing off the same sheet

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by NorfolkHomemadeMum, Jul 20, 2013.

1. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

Not sure if this is the right place to post but feeling the need to vent again! OH is not dinging off the same sheet as me & it's getting a bit frustrating. He is v tired as he works shifts but I told him to go back to bed this morning then woke him with a cup of tea. He has just come down & tried to go into the bathroom but Beulah got in the way & somehow he ended up shutting the bathroom door on his foot. Cue shouting, grr-ing & having frustrated body language at the puppy. Cue one v upset Mama :( It makes me feel the same as when someone misunderstands my son with adhd or upsets my kids. I know he is tired but I am fed-up with it now :( Any tips for getting your OH onside? & yes it was me who originally wanted a dog but he had come round to really wanting one, even when I told him all the challenges ahead. I really wish I could take her out for a walk but not allowed til next Thursday.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Singing off the same sheet

It is difficult when one doest feel the same . Young pups are hard work and have a similar impact upon the home life as a new baby, total disruption ::) Just stick with it, it will get easier especially when she can get out and about , she will be more tired and less likely to cause chaos indoors, so hopefully, your husband will then see the better side of having a puppy :)

3. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

Thanks Kate - think we're going to go out for a drive to give them some space. xx

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

No tips :(
    Good luck though!

5. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I feel like a single puppy parent! Hubby won't walk her, trains her wrong, (he just gave her a slice of bread! I would have made her heal for a hour for that!). He has lost his temper, which she just sees as "game on" he likes my biting! anyway, I could go on all day!!!!

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Don't get me started....did you read my Halti post?nearly divorce last weekend!Cant give you much advice as I think we are all so different,I resorted to the wounded soldier/martyr act last weekend.......not right i know,but always a winner in our house!I hate falling out though.....hope you make friends :)I think with jobs,the demands of a young family and a puppy,tiredness prevails and that can be a hindrance to harmonious domestics .......

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah - I think this is so common - it's come up before on the forum. Get some tips from Angela, she has ways and means of bringing him into line....

I think it depends on whether you both read the same things. My OH didn't read a thing before Charlie arrived. We had one MASSIVE fight when OH decided Charlie needed punishing for an accident in the house - and got angry with him. After that, I tried to "drip feed" OH the positive reinforcement stuff I was learning from books and this website.

Then, when walks started, it was another set of dramas, but that's documented in another thread...

Now, as our training has progressed, and I clearly have much more control over Charlie than OH, OH is trying to catch up, and is taking the training side of things a LOT more seriously, I THINK he might even have downloaded Total Recall (as I can embarrass him by waiting until he has failed and failed to recall Charlie from another dog, then do it with one call - tee hee...all in a good cause though...)

8. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi there, Well Im looking after my very arhtritic mum and the pup today. Its funny he seems to sense she isnt well and is gentle with her. I am single though, and I think it may be a tad easier, because you can get the pup, to just follow your rules. Im recognising when hes bitey, its because he is overexcited and wants to play. Following the advice on here, I have had some success, in stopping him, Ive tried to keep still, and not move, so he sort of gives up, no intereaction. Can be painful keeping still though when he has his sharp teeth in your foot !He was on the go for hours last night, wanting to play, but overtired and bitey. Looking forward to Friday, when we can go out. Hes a good pup really, he is at this moment asleep under the table in the garden. Maggiex

9. Charlie_2013

Charlie_2013 Registered Users

I really feel for people in these situations & I will keep an eye on this thread with great interest.

Charlie will not be descending upon us until the end of August & at the moment everyone is excited. I'm pretty sure that will
    change at some point especially when one of my boys treads in a little surprise package left by Charlie!!

I think when a bloke gets grumpy git syndrome (that's what my sons call it) & is very tired it's hard to focus on things especially a
    puppy!! Being a cabbie i work very unsociable hours & most of the time i am shattered...the way we deal with it as a family is know one speaks to me
    until i talk first ;D then they know i am waking up. Once i am awake after mugs & mugs of coffee then i can cope...still a grumpy old git though!!!! ;)

As for getting your old man onside well bacon sandwiches are never rejected & the smell of it cooking puts a smile on
    my face first thing in the morning. Another one for me even without a dog, is going for a long walk with my wife & chilling out & talking about anything. Then stopping at a nice pub for a pint!!Good Luck & I hope he comes round (fingers crossed) ;)

10. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

We have two weeks off together soon! ??? Think I might have to do this :-X :-X a lot more.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good tips, Dave :) A bacon sarnie and a pint would certainly soften me up a bit too.

I made my hubby, Damon, take Obi for our first level obedience class. At least that way he (Damon) was getting instruction from someone else and it wasn't just me harping on.

The fact that Obi recalls better for me has motivated hubby too (same as Julie's situation). The argument that "I don't want Obi to be just my dog and listen only to me" has achieved some traction.

12. Dexter

Dave ,nice to have a blokes perspective ;D,you are somewhat outnumbered on here so you will be a great balance,I'm naughty when I moan about Chris,he's a superstar really,he is just so busy with work.He expects me to be his information resource...not just about Dexter....about everything in our lives ...I do the research then summarise and 'Present' ......its efficient and it works for most things but of course not for our yellow boy! Chris is realizing that now ,and while he doesn't do the proactive reading that I do ,he will read what I stick under his nose.....the massive,helpful and wonderfully supportive castration thread being a case in point......oh and he loves seeing the photos!
    Will you be able to take Charlie out to work with you Dave....or do Health and Safety not support 'pet a puppy'a bit like Waitrose Wimbledon!
    Off to brave the blummin heat now.....it's Ramadan here too so no eating or drinking in public places,which of course I respect but I miss that glug of water out on the road ...see I'm a grumpy git too !

13. Charlie_2013

Outnumbered...i'm off cya ;D

I think with partners it's all about balance get it right & it's amazing. Blokes are funny sods (me included) but crack the nut & there is normally a willing & able person inside.
    Once Charlie has is basics sorted then my wife will get involved allot more but she is more than happy to sit back & let me do all the work. It's great when you can all go on a long walk & chat when you're relaxed like that you both seem to listen to each other & get things resolved, especially over a gorgeous real ale or 3!!

The nice thing is I can take Charlie to work, I am my own boss so i make the rules :p. Not all my customers take luggage so i can have his cage in the boot. I put the feelers out as i want him to mix with as many people as possible & also get used to traveling. The feedback has been great & they have all said yes so far. Charlie will be with me most of the time as i love fishing & between jobs i have plenty of spare time for some fantastic walks..the plus side living in the countryside ;D & we have some cracking pubs with some being dog friendly 8)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh Angela - didn't realise you would be affected by Ramadan fasting. I can see it as being respectful not to eat in public, but is that applied to water as well?
    You face so many challenges I can only imagine :eek:

And Dave. Sounds like you don't have a very typical cabbies job! Where are you based?

Jac

15. Dexter

Yep Jac...nothing in public until sunset.....£100 fine if you are seen,very few food and drinks outlets open,if so only for takeaway.everything is pared down,no live entertainment,not even music in the supermarket( not a bad thing ;D) outside workers like our gardners and maintenance men start work at 6am and knock off at 12,no water in that time if they are fasting.....if they aren't they have to go to the porta cabin to drink water in secret!brings a new meaning to problem drinking doesn't it.....I'm pegged out by 3 pm,I don't know how they do it

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I am blessed with a very supportive hubby who is a great help! He is more "old school" re: dog training but in the initial chaos with Simba started to see that the methods I was learning here were the ones that made the most sense and were actually working with the pooch. The more dominance-based ideas just got our boy either fearful or more riled up, so that stopped pretty quickly, thankfully, or it would have caused some issues between us too!! :)

17. Charlie_2013

Jacqui,

My cabbie work is nearly all airport runs, corporate & trips in & out of London. I live nr Bedford so am lucky to be quite close to 4 airports. I don't sit on a rank or work locally. Its like today i've been up since 3.30 taken someone to the airport, next one is at 9.00am then 3.00pm & finish. So you can see i have plenty of time on my hands ;D

The nice thing is my wife is self employed & she's in & out all day so when i get Charlie he will never be left alone for long. I've asked some of my customers if they mind Charlie tagging along & they are cool with the idea. So my partner in crime will be with me all day on occasions ;D ;D

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

How lovely, I wish I could take Riley into the office but luckily I get to work from home quite a lot :)

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Dave.
    Apart from the early morning bit that sounds quite civilised.
    My husbands cousin whom we keep in touch and visit now and again became a London cabbie last year and I just couldn't see her with a puppy tagging along!
    Lilly would just cause havoc if I took her to my work ;D

20. Charlie_2013

Good Morning Jac,

I am lucky I have to be honest apart from the anti social side of it i don't have to put in a 12hrs shifts like London Cabbies & others around the Country. The great thing is i know some fantastic walks on en route to home which i'm looking forward to exploring...& of course we will be having plenty of time fishing!!! ;D I do work honest ;D ;D ;D