sister puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stephen800, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Stephen800

Stephen800 Registered Users

My Father and I are thinking of getting two puppies, they are sisters from the same litter, they will be 8 weeks old when we get them. we are next neighbors, we initially thought this would be a great idea for the pups to be neighbors. We have since found out it might not be a good idea, my pup will be mainly living at my house and will be walked and trained separably. I was wondering if this is enough separation for the the pups to prevent issues? the pups would be together while i am at work but majority of the time would be separate. any advice or thoughts are appreciated

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum! I would have thought that would be enough separation, but others who have two puppies from the same litter will be able to give more advice.

3. ziggy

ziggy Registered Users

While most reputable breeders do not allow littermates to be homed together, your situation is slightly different. If you know these puppies have been bred by an experienced breeder, I would recommend you talk to them and see what they advise.

4. Chaunceysmom

Chaunceysmom Registered Users

hmmm... well considering they’ll be living in separate households with different owners that will spend their free time with their puppies one on one I don’t see a problem. It’s not the same as getting 2 siblings in the same household which is very difficult.
    My own dog when he was 4 months old had another puppy that was the same age would spend hours at the park every day playing together. They had a blast together and remained friends for 3.5 years until the other dog’s parents moved away. No conflict what so ever. I’m sure they missed each other, but they both had other friends as well that filled the void. I think I was more upset about his moving away than my own dog did.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Stephen, that should be fine. I have litter mates in the same household. Yes, it's a lot of work to do what you can to avoid the risks of litter mate syndrome, but it sounds like these two pups will be spending plenty of time apart as well as together. The important thing is separate walks and training so they bond closely with their humans, rather than too closely with one another. My two (who are now three and a half years) get on very well, but they're definitely both more bonded to us humans than they are to each other. They absolutely adore going out individually with me, far more so than going on group walks.

Chaunceysmom likes this.