Sit stay I think it's clicked !

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Jen, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Sit stay I think it's clicked !

Really helpful, thanks very much.

2. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Very helpful hijack anytime Julie . ;D

Do you use a clicker for recall?

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I do recall Riley at random times just for the sake of it but he still checks that there's nothing exciting around sometimes before he comes back......any clues how to break this habit or is it just perseverance? Sometimes I get that instant spin but not always. Am thinking of taking a variety of treats and only rewarding the really prompt recalls but that's all I can think of....

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3024.msg32463#msg32463 date=1382947155]
    Very helpful hijack anytime Julie . ;D

Do you use a clicker for recall?
    [/quote]

Thanks!

I click for speed - so I click at the point he is running the fastest towards me before he slows down. I don't click for a lazy recall. I'm not convinced he can always hear it! I forgot where I read to do that, I'm sure on the forum or in Total Recall.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Although I said that I treat all recalls......if I ever call and don't get a response then I go and get Obi and put him on his lead and there is no treat for that. I am pretty careful about when I call though. If there's something I can't compete with then I don't cue a recall but just go and get him (he does get a treat for that....just not for a nil response to a cue).

Barbara, I'd say that it's perseverance, re. breaking the habit of looking for the fun thing first. Lots of recalls when there is absolutely nothing exciting at all, to teach that there is no link between a recall cue and exciting alternatives. Also, try to keep a consistent tone (if you are using your voice) regardless of whether you're calling in the presence or absence of a potential distraction.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You mean there's no magic wand and I just have to keep training ::) oh well :D