1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Sit whistle duration

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by AlaskaSkeeter, Mar 22, 2018.

1. AlaskaSkeeter

AlaskaSkeeter Registered Users

Most young retrievers have sensitive hearing.
    There is no need to use the same loud volume at 20 yards as at 200 yards.

I like to use a soft,chirp for whistle-sit up close, and
    a loud, loooooong whistle for long distance, difficult to hear conditions.

Conditions like running through lunging water, running through tall grass,etc.
    Under these conditions, the retriever may hear the whistle only at the top of his stride..
    so a looooong whistle helps ensure he has a better chance of hearing the whistle at the top of his stride.
    Some times a whistle refusal is the handler's fault because the dog can not hear the whistle.

Retrievers may also have difficulty hearing the whistle on windy days, especially long windy water blinds.

Here is a quick example on a dog walk..soft, quick whistle for up close,
    long whistle for difficult hearing conditions...I blow until the instant the retriever turns to sit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
    selina27, Cath, edzbird and 2 others like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Excellent stop there! How have you trained that fast stop at a distance? And how do you reward her when she is that far off? I must say I don't just stop my dogs for nothing at a distance, only if I can then redirect them fast on to a retrieve, because otherwise I cannot reward them quickly enough.

3. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup. Forum Supporter

Thats awesome. A goal set for me. I am just coming to the end of the basics now, sit, down, stay, recall going well with whistle, can one of you point me in the direction of the 'whistle to sit' training please?

4. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great work both of you :clap:

5. AlaskaSkeeter

AlaskaSkeeter Registered Users

Thanks you. I first teach pup a fast long distance recall whistle on daily dog walks. I often do this with 2 labs so they race each other on the recall whistle. So pup learns to react fast at a long distance when she hears the whistle and turn and race to me for the treat. It is a fun game and they get really good at turning to the whistle at long distances. Usually after a couple months they get really good at instantly turning the second they hear the recall whistle at long distances.

At the same time, I teach the sit whistle to pup at each feeding session indoors. After a couple months of this pup really understands the sit whistle indoors. Then I transition on our daily dog walks, blowing the sit whistle, giving pup the "traffic cop" signal as she turns and praising her the instant she starts sitting. I is important to balance the recall whistle with the sit whistle as some pups are better at one or the other. Here for example, I was doing many more sits than recalls (out of balance) so pup was confused and thought she heard the sit whistle. I think it also helps to praise pup for sitting and release with a touch on pup's head. Pup soon learns to be steady after sit and wait for that pet on her head.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, my second lab has learnt the stop whistle much faster than my first dog - he learnt it both from walking to heel and me then blowing the stop whistle, but also by interacting with my other lab and copying her! I have learnt from experience though not to overuse the stop whistle, and as you say always to make sure it is a positive experience for the dog.