six month old started barking at people

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Reggys Mum, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Reggys Mum

Reggys Mum Registered Users

Hello, I have a black lab, six months, three weeks old, the last week or so he has started barking at people. They are people that he has met before, the circumstances are no different. Today we went into work and he barked at every person. Yesterday we were out and met some friends and he barked at them too. Is he just saying 'hello'?? trouble is, he is quite big and getting bigger every day. How do we stop this from becoming a habit??

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

3. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

Hi there,
    I didn't see this before so I've also just started a thread about this. My 8 month old has also recently started doing the same. She also seems to be much more wary of people in general (unless in the park when EVERYONE is her friend).

I believe when dogs get this kind of age, they start trying to figure things out for themselves so while previously they followed you and your lead, they now see things differently and as a result can be more cautious of things.

Is it mostly when he is on the lead or in a confined space? I went on a doggy body language course this weekend and it is surprising how a little thing like leaning over as you approach a dog is actually incredibly threatening from the dogs point of view - especially from front on and especially if they are in a place where they cant go around or move away from the incoming hand. I am going to try and orchestrate a situation where a neighbour (who she did like but has recently started barking at) meets me in the park to see if we have the same reaction when our girl is not on her lead or in the garden. I know if the neighbour comes in and sits down, tatti is fine and within 3 or 4 minutes is totally fine with her, licking her and wanting to play.

What I don't know is how to stop them from barking (which is what my thread is asking). or whether this is it now (or its just a phase)?

Hope that gives you a little bit of info though.