Six years old is the best age!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by MF, May 13, 2018.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

I remember reading on our local
    lab rescue page that six years old is the best age. The dog is mature enough yet not too old that it can’t be active. It was a plea to please adopt “older” dogs, ie those that were six years old (cos everyone wants a puppy). At that time - about five years ago - I, too, thought six years old was old. Now that Snowie is six and a half, I can agree with the statement that six is the best age! Today we did a stunning hike. He paced himself well, kept checking in, wanted to be close by, totally polite to every person and dog and cyclist we passed. Politely joined in our picnic. Posed for all the photos. (And only ran off once to raid someone else’s picnic!) In the past he would've raced off at full speed and then would’ve got so exhausted that he could not do a proper long hike. He’d have mounted the passing dogs. Jumped on the people. And couldn’t care less if he lost site of us.

What a difference a bit of aging makes!

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I totally agree... six is perfect. Still young enough to be healthy and have lots of energy but old and wise enough to know what to do with it. :)

MF likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

What an uplifting post @MF :).

MF likes this.
  4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Great post -- only 4 years to go then!

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine is now 6 and he is slowing down unfortunately. :(

6. MF

MF Registered Users

I’m sorry. I did think this was the norm, and it is the case with Snowie - but it comes from a former wild pace, so I’m happy he’s more mature. He is the fittest he’s ever been, he’s reached a very healthy point in his life. I guess we’ve had so many health issues with him, so we’re extra-happy with where he’s at now. But also all the training seems to have come together and he’s just so easy to take places, it’s such a relief now.

selina27 and Stacia like this.
  7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly is six this year and is very active. She takes an all-morning walk in her stride and still wants a play when she gets home. Long may this continue.

I'm not so convinced about maturity. She nicks my slippers whenever possible and enjoys a good wrestle and rough play like a puppy.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine is intermittently lame, can be lame or not lame within 1/4 mile! Vets can't find anything. To my consternation he has started to be stiff on his hind legs when he gets up after sleeping all evening, however, he had been on a two hour walk and had swum across a large pool!

9. MF

MF Registered Users

Whenever Snowie is stiff, I need to remind myself of what he’s done that day. There’s usually an exercise-related reason. Just like myself: if I’ve had a run, my legs are stiff but I’m not injured. He’s had a slipped disc, so I always think the worst.

Stacia likes this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thanks @MF, that is encouraging, I needn't worry so much now :)

MF likes this.
  11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer will be 6 on Sunday!
    I can’t believe how the time has flown by.
    In so many ways he’s still my baby puppy, still goofy and mischievous and full of energy. But he’s also grown in maturity.

selina27 and MF like this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Six years old IS still a baby, at least by my definition. :)

Brogan was my baby-brained baby dog until his 11th birthday. And then it was like he decided to instantly become an old fart. "Hey, I've earned it", he seemed to be saying to me. And he had!

I loved that stage even more than the baby dog stage, if possible. He was just so wise and funny. It was hard to watch the physical changes - though he literally kept going like a champ until his last day with me - but what a riot he was as an oldster. :D

Jes72, MF, Stacia and 1 other person like this.
  13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think every age is the best age :)

I love to see them changing and I look forward to seeing how they continue to grow as they get older.

Jes72 and selina27 like this.
  14. Berna

Berna Registered Users

With a 12 year old, for me the best period was from 5-9 years old. Especially if you are an active person yourself. Old age is sweet and you can enjoy lying in the grass and reading a book with your dog, it's peaceful and slow, but still I prefer the years when we were in constant action.

Jes72 likes this.
  15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo slowed down a little and went deaf but she was very gunghoe until she was 14. She only became old in the last 6 months of her life. I've loved them all at every age there's always something new to appreciate and discover. At 6 Doug's auto immune disease changed his life for the worst.

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy is six, and she is very fit. She's always been a sensible dog, but I do notice that she is calmer about retrieving, not quite so dummy-obsessed.

Actually, who am I kidding?? If she thinks you are going to get a dummy or a ball out, she starts prancing wildly all over the show :D. But she's happy after a couple of retrieves on a walk to just carry the dummy or ball, whereas a year or so ago she'd have been constantly bugging us to throw it... Again, and again, and again... :rolleyes:

Stacia likes this.
  17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I love all ages, seeing them grow from puppies to being more sensible to reaching old age. Hattie says "PAH six years old is nothing" She is almost 11 years old and still having fun, learning new things, playing with Charlie and her friends, loves everyone, working once a week and so full of love for life, nothing is slowing her down and long may it continue :inlove: Charlie is 7 years old and is still 0 to 60 in 6 seconds :rolleyes: a little grey around the muzzle but still, again, so full of life and love for everyone.

Age is but a number, keep yourself and your dogs fit as you can, life should be good :) x

Karen, Plum's mum and Stacia like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Absolutely!!