Skin worries

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by AnnaMcC, Dec 22, 2015.

1. AnnaMcC

AnnaMcC Registered Users

Hi, earlier today we noticed Henry (now nearly 6months!!) had developed a scattering of small brown patches on either side of his groin area. On closer inspection they're almost like tiny scabs. We found them when we were towel drying him after he'd had a bath after a long walk so it's definitely not dirt!
    Any ideas what it could be? /what we should do?
    Here's a picture!
    [​IMG]

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Flea poop? If you rub them with a bit of water do they dissolve into reddish brown liquid? If they do then look for fleas. There is a fine toothed comb for that but you can look around his bum,his groin area, the back of his neck. Anywhere really, the little buggers can really move.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think I would go to the vet with that. Does look like little scabs. Has he been licking or chewing at the area at all?

4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'd go to the vet. Ella had something similar when her belly was still bald and it turned out to be a bit of an rash/allergic reaction. We had to keep it clean and use Sudocrem on it and it cleared up. She hasn't had it since so fingers crossed her skin is a little less sensitive now.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory had something similar when he had a problem with his food. We found out what the problem was and changed his diet and it went. I'd check with your vet

6. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd bet on juvenile impetigo. About half the cases go away with treatment never to return, others are an indicator of possible future allergy. Trip to the vet on the cards I think.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

It looks similar to Juno's skin infection in September. we had 2 courses of antibiotics and had to bathe the area every other day with vet recommended shampoo. No problems since. Best to go and see the vet to see what they think