Sleepy puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hope this isn't a silly question, but how do I keep a very sleepy 8 week old puppy awake until bedtime! She is so tired and has been flat out asleep for the last hour (but not in her crate again). Bed time at 10pm. Does anyone else have puppies that seem to want to be in a deep sleep from 5pm onwards, but still sleep during the night?!

2. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Re: Sleepy puppy

Ah Debs give her a break she's probably shattered after 2 sleepless nights! ;D
    Joking aside how about taking her in the garden to play , it might wake her up a bit?

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

LOL! Done the garden bit!! She ran around like a looney, came in and promptly fell asleep on my son!! Crate time awaits :eek: x

4. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Good idea, put her in the crate that will wake her up! Lol
    Good luck, I hope you get a little more sleep tonight. God knows how I'm going to cope with the sleepless nights when we get our pup I'm a right old grump without 7-8 hours!
    Talking of sleepless nights I must try to go to sleep soon as I am up early to fly to Budapest with work tomorrow.
    I will try and keep up with your antics over the next few days.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Yep, crate = awake ::)
    she is so gorgeous, it's hard not to crumble!
    Hope you have a good flight tomorrow, sounds exciting!

6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi our pup now 11 weeks sleeps pretty much from about 8 onwards. She is very lively after tea until then. From 8 she gets up to wee or we get the odd waggy tailed sleepy hello but really until 6am she's zonked. So hope you have a better night. Fingers crossed for you :)

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks Edp.....fingers crossed she will settle over the coming week. She really doesn't like her crate :(

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Let sleeping dogs lie ::)

9. Edp

Edp Registered Users

How did you get on debs ? I was thinking of you as was walking round the garden in wellies and pj's at 6 this morning ?? Emma

10. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi Emma, well, I put her in her crate at 10pm and she cried for half an hour, but then slept until 2am. Took her for a wee and then back to bed. Awake at 5am, so lively! Tried to put her back to bed but she was crying so loudly that by 5.30 we were having a cuddle and a cup of tea! Much better than the previous two nights when she cried, she sounded so distressed, at least last night she was just annoyed at being left!! So, yes, I was walking round the garden at 5am! :)

11. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Yay, progress. Give it a few more days and you will be sorted. In a couple of weeks this phase will be a blur ! Enjoy those puppy cuddles they grow so fast :)

12. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny was really sleepy when she was very young. She would literally be awake for 30mins and then sleep for 1-2 hours! I would let her sleep in the evening but then make sure I woke her up at about 9pm and keep her awake with playing, training etc until toilet time and bedtime at 10-10:30pm.

After the howling was done she would still sleep at night time. I totally underestimated how much sleep puppies need when they are little!

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Lauren, I can't believe how much she sleeps and even more so today after her injections! However, she has just come back to full puppy liveliness and is currently attacking, eating anything in her way! Happy days ;)