Small Black Dog on Diet

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, May 10, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

She got a bit fat when she was on lead walks for 12 weeks - not that I was absolutely strict on the lead bit, but certainly no running, jumping or anything aerobic. When she was finally signed off as fit she had ballooned to a whopping (for her) 28.7kg. So she's been on a strict diet for the last few weeks with a target weight of 27kg and I've been building her exercise up to normal levels including some aerobics (usually by roping in Max the Greyhound or Poppy the Labrador puppy). So weighed her yesterday.

[size=36pt]28.7kg!!!![/size] - doh! :eek:

So that's back to the drawing board for a diet review then. ;D

I think I might know what's contributing to the problem though. It's grandchildren. Aged 1 and 2. We have them 2 days a week and when they are having lunch you-know-who is on hand to hoover up anything that falls to the kitchen floor. ;D

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Small Black Dog on Diet

how old is she david????

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Lady, having difficulty getting into that little Black number!! ;D ;D Helen x

4. lynnelogan

hellen david as got me worried now, :) jasper is due for his monthly weight in at the vets tomorrow, :) :) :) :) :) last month when we went he weighed 15, i am expecting he will be over 20, estimated by vet at 6 month he will be 25 is this normal ??

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Lynne, there is no set weight, its about ratio , depending on how big boned and how tall etc . Sam is 37 kilos but he is very big boned and according to our Vet he is slim and in great shape, so dont worry .

David , i know all about grandchildren, accidentally ( on purpose ) dropping excess food, no wonder our Labs love them visiting so much ;D

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

The dogs vary considerably. Our male two year old is 26kgs and I wouldn't want him any lighter. My in-laws dog is 35kgs and no fatter than Riley just a completely different build!

Ask your vet to explain the signs they look for in a healthy weight lab. You should be able to see a defined waist.

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=David link=topic=1497.msg10392#msg10392 date=1368185883]
    I think I might know what's contributing to the problem though. It's grandchildren. Aged 1 and 2. We have them 2 days a week and when they are having lunch you-know-who is on hand to hoover up anything that falls to the kitchen floor. ;D
    [/quote]

That definitely happens in our house, Lizzie's decided feeding Riley is more fun than eating her food so Riley is banned to his mat during mealtimes. My friends lab is slightly heavier than normal - she found out her 18 month old son had found the gravy bones!

8. lynnelogan

seeing the vet in the morning, she did estimate 25 kg at 6 month, hes 5 month next week, i guess hes going to be over 20 tomorrow, better watch my son with the treats, when he gets in from work i catch his hands in the treat jar :) :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lynne, I agree with everyone else, Charlie is 30 kgs but is very tall and not a scrap of fat on him, really slender boy, Hattie is larger than a Labrador and is a svelt 25 kg and both are very fit, well fed and very well exercised. Don't worry but do check with your vet. He's a looker Lynne :D Helen x

10. David

David Registered Users

Lynne, Lady is 3 but very petite.

You should see a definite waist and also be able feel the dog's ribs. Lady's ideal weight is about 27kg, but her brother, Milo is a whopping 38kg and has no excess fat. He's about 1/3 as big again as Lady. She's 21inches to the withers so Small but in nice proportion.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly is a slim leggy 3 year old and is a shade under 25kg.
    Or at least she was before tonights trip to the indian takeaway and the left-over naan bread ::)

jac

[me the same....groan.....]

12. lynnelogan

omg, when we went for first vet visit, the vet said wow you got one big boy there, it meant nothing to me, now i am seeing adult dogs are 25kg, i think ohhhh he may be that now, hes got the biggest feet you have ever seen, will put on tomorrow what weight he is, i cant lift him now, was bath time tonight, no way could i lift him into the bath, good job my sons a strapping lad ;)