Smelly?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

My sister-in-law heard we now have a Lab... Here comment was, "They stink!!" Something about the oil they have in their coats to repel water???

I haven't noticed anything particularly stinky about Simba (smell-wise, anyways! :eek:) but just wondering if this is true?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Smelly?

Well , I might be very odd, but I love the smell of Labs ;D ;D I was out in the garden earlier weeding , Sam was laying beside me, had has been in the river and smells wonderful , his coat is almost dry but it smells a bit like fresh hay , just love it :)
    I have noticed that they have an undercoat that rarely gets soaking wet , maybe this is the oily one x

3. David

David Registered Users

Labs are apparently one of the smelliest breeds, but I think the bonding process must include liking the smell. There is nothing quite like burying your nose in the top of Lady's head and taking a deep sniff. ;D Mind you sometimes it's more of a :eek: than a ;D.

The undercoat seems to keep them really warm and the top coat seems to let the water just run off. I had her out in driving rain all day a while back in the winter, and I was getting worried about her getting cold as she looked to be soaking wet. But on gently separating her coat it was obvious she was bone dry underneath. Some Cockers we were with were all shivering whereas the Labs were just gently steaming.

4. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

the first few weeks i had my little fella i did think he was a bit smelly, like david said, i love burying my nose in jaspers head :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Did I read somewhere on here that the more you wash your dog, the more likely to smell?
    I think if you allow the coat to develop its natural oils then the dogs have less odour.
    Fox poo sessions notwithstanding 8)

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Thanks everyone! Interesting! Like I said, I haven't noticed Simba to be particularly smelly, so I'm not really worried about it.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Labs do have something of a reputation for having a distinctive smell. If they do - I like it :) I think that Obi smells nice. He doesn't get washed much at all, for the record. Maybe everyone who walks into my house is choking on the overwhelming Labradoriness of it all - but if they are I'm not really bothered ;D

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dexter smells lovely to us but I do notice he's a bit more pungent when he's had a good run around and gets hot......am sure there will be a wave of eau de lab when we get home as there has been the text missive to remove all air fresheners......

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=1754.msg13491#msg13491 date=1371678161]
    Labs do have something of a reputation for having a distinctive smell. If they do - I like it :) I think that Obi smells nice. He doesn't get washed much at all, for the record. Maybe everyone who walks into my house is choking on the overwhelming Labradoriness of it all - but if they are I'm not really bothered ;D
    [/quote]

Totally with you :)

Riley's had about a bath a year, he's not a big one for rolling though. The wet dog smell can be quite strong especially in the car but mostly I like how he smells, especially his ears mmmmmmmmmm :)

10. David

David Registered Users

;D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Smell??? Labs????????? Oh, you mean that lovely, lovely doggy perfume. Could sniff it all day, it only conjures up good things for me.

I'm REALLY odd, I like the smell of my dog's paws!!! (Depending on what she's been walking in, of course... ;) )

12. Oberon

Heehee - I enjoy a surreptitious paw sniff too.

13. David

David Registered Users

Yes. Ears, paws and head all slightly different- 8)

14. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Popcorn-with-a-hint-of mud....that's what cuilli and brodsie's paws smell like....I like the odd furtive paw sniff myself. glad its not just me

15. Dexter

Stop it! All of you right NOW ! You might send me over the edge .......

16. kateincornwall

The floppy cheeks do it for me , sort of candle wax and lavendar , sorry Angela ;D

17. Dexter

Kate I think I might go off you :p ....no,ill change my mind , your Sam is too gorgeous so ill let you away :D x
    this week has been a week I never thought I would feel.....oh I've missed Dexter ,and you've all helped by me hearing your news ....
    now i hear ... smoke over Singapore ....trying to convince the hubst to go home 2 days early ....hmmmm seed planted, watch this space ;D xxx

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Lost for words...... ;D

I'm not immune to the allure of a proper doggy smell....looks like that's a good thing, huh!

19. Oberon

I think that the support group is hereby founded - Labrador Sniffers Anonymous (LSA).

20. kateincornwall

;D ;D ;D