Sniffy Games

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Jyssica, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jyssica

Jyssica Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Does anyone have any advice or articles on how to introduce and train sniffing games etc?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

There's also a manual available, or at least there used to be but having just looked at the website it looks as if Pam has been busy updating it ready to re-launch. It is worth investing in the Starter Kit and purchasing additional mice though. We love the mice :)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

5. Bailey48

Bailey48 Registered Users

I haven't worked with Bailey much, formally, she is getting better at scenting all on her own. There has been times when she couldn't find something right between her feet.
    There are plenty of youtube videos on this. They should give you a quick pointer for the beginning basics, before advancing.
    I am using an orange dummy, with some of that rollon scent stuff that looks like a stick of deodorant.

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I wish :) :)

snowbunny likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I do scent work with Charlie and he LOVES it. I put a small toy in a box of smelly dried tripe for a week or so then I hid it in various places round the house for him to find gradually making it more difficult hiding it in a draw or bag etc. He can now sniff the toy out in our large garden and also down to the smallest treat. I get him to sit/stay whilst I go hide or toy or the treat go back to him and send him to "find it" which he does 100% of the time. He returns to me for a really good treat. Charlie is great at this as he is a Labrador x Pointer so his nose is amazing! I love playing this game with him as it makes him very happy and it's good fun :) x

8. DebzC

DebzC Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm going Wednesday if you want a mouse or two?

9. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Ah DebzC, that is very kind of you to offer :) Luckily I was at a conference a few months ago and Pam MacKinnon was a guest speaker and gave a demo with her lovely dog Cherry. While at the conference I stocked up with goodies including some mice (as you do :) :) ). Thank you so much for the kind offer and thought, it is much appreciated.

DebzC likes this.