So Aramis might need an op .

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katjush, May 18, 2017.

1. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

I took Aramis back to vets today after a night of being up with him with sickness and diarrhoea and I noticed something weird with his stomach movement . His intestines are spasming and it's like slipping inside the other part and getting stuck? I was so panicked I don't think I've taken it all in, but the vet compared it to like those water snake toys kids have that slide in an out of each other. Apparently I've done well in catching it within 12 hours , as most go unnoticed which leads to resection, and they are hoping if it's as bad as they think they may be able to manipulate instead. I've left him there to be scanned , and it doesn't matter how much the vet says I have done nothing wrong , I feel so awful, and I feel like Aramis would have been better with someone with more experience of pups. Sorry for this I'm just home alone, and feel so awful .

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my god you poor thing!!! And poor little Aramis... You did very well to catch that.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh @Katjush please, please do not blame yourself you did nothing wrong and everything right to be so vigilant in noticing something was wrong with Aramis and getting him to the vet. I hope everything will be OK and you will have your boy home soon. You are not responsible. Hugs to you and Aramis :hug: xx

4. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Thank you both. I think it's worse because my oh is away with work and I'm running on no sleep . He just looked so pitiful, with none of that spark, and weirdly enough it was the fact he hadn't bite anyone , or chased the cat that first alerted me to something being wrong before the sickness and diarrhoea started.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Get some sleep whilst Aramis is at the vets. You knew something was wrong and took immediate action which is great. xx

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I am so very sorry to read this, but as said before , you mustn't ever blame yourself , you have taken the right action . Hugs to you, and all the luck in the world to your lovely Aramis xx

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We can't prevent everything that goes wrong with our doggies - all we we can do is get them to the vet as soon as we notice a problem and that's exactly what you did. Sounds like you've been way more vigilant and have acted faster than most people would - so, great job.

Aramis is in really good hands at the vet's. I'm sure they're giving him the very best of care and treatment.

You're a good doggie parent.

8. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

I have a two legged brat to fetch in a little while but I may follow your advice and snatch some before I have to leave.
    Thank you. I know I shouldn't blame myself, but I honestly was not prepared for how quickly you become attached or the amount of responsibility I would feel with a pup. With our past dogs it's always taken a little longer , but Aramis has been like a wirlwind, almost like bringing a new baby home.

9. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Our dog Buddy (a rescue collie) before Aramis who's passing prompted us to get him, went downhill and died in my arms within a few hours. Age was a very obvious factor , but it left me with the lingering doubt we had missed something before hand, and I think it's left a legacy of almost it's better to be over cautious than risk missing something. Oh our vets are absolutely wonderful, I think it's just he's so small, and the poor devil seems to have been in and out of there since we picked him up.

10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry to hear this hope he is soon better

Katjush likes this.
  11. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Thank you. You guys are honestly very much appreciated, I'm constantly going through old posts for answers and tips, it's an absolute god send .

12. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

So sorry to hear about poor Aramis :( He's in the very best hands at the moment and you acted quickly to get him to the vet when you weren't happy with how he was acting. You are the very best person for Aramis so please don't blame yourself although we all do when something goes wrong - we play the 'What if' guilt trip tape.
    Take care of yourself as Aramis will need you fighting fit when he gets home. Let us know he gets on.

Katjush likes this.
  13. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Update. Vet has just called, they will operate in a few hours, depending on how healthy the tissue is, and so on will tell them what to do next concerning dissection. She did very rightly warn me of the risks, and post op complications that can occur, but on the other side it has made me a lot more scared for him. I just feel so bl**dy helpless . She said it is just pure bad luck and she thinks the problems he's had with the Giardia and the infection on top has just taken their toll on his gut. Just fingers crossed now that the little terror will pull through , and hopefully home in a few days

Karen, MF and Cath like this.
  14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@Katjush stay positive.! Aramis will be fine and will be running rings around you again before you realise it. Hang in there - have a rant/cry/shout/scream it all helPS and then you can start thinking about any special actions you'll need to take when he comes xxx

15. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Aah @Katjush - thinking of you and hoping for the very best outcome for Aramis.

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Fingers crossed little Aramis will be fine and home soon. He's in the best possible hands. Xx

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh my what an ordeal you both are going through. Hugs to you, I know it's so tough when your pups are unwell. He's in the right place and is being taken care of and you have done all you can. Don't feel guilty.

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have seen a couple of these ops, there is nothing for you to blame yourself about, these things happen. I hope the op is a success, the ones I attended were, but we can never safely predict an outcome. Your vet seems well in control of the situation,

19. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Thank you all . I am shedding a lot of tears , but hopefully I'll be laughing about it in a few days thinking what a drama queen .

20. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Thinking of you @Katjush and little Aramis!

Katjush likes this.