So nice to find the "right" boarding kennels

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Jul 9, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Just picked Lady up from kennels. We leave her there a lot because of the business, but just a couple of nights at a time. After a false start at first with kennels she wasn't happy with as a puppy, we latched onto our current kennels and she's been going there since she was about 9 months old about twice a month. Dropped her off on Friday and opened the back of the car whereupon she leapt out and clawed at the gate to get in. 2 Labs ahead of us in the queue that lunged at her barking - poor lamb (well actually she's not that sensitive with other dogs on the lead 'cos she knows they can't get at her). Call from the office said just leave her we'll see you on Tuesday. So off I popped leaving her to greet her kennel maid and trot round to her kennel.

Picked her up today receiving a BOFF in the chest! Found out that she now has her "own" kennel because she likes it so much. It has an oak tree at the end of the run with nice cool shade and in this weather she just chills on the grass, maybe raising her head for a moment if the other dogs bark at the sound of the office door bell.

Big relief believe me. ;D

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: So nice to find the "right" boarding kennels

Thats good news David , can imagine how much happier you are now when you leave Lady and she shows you how settled she is, sounds great :)

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That's wonderful :) lucky Lady!

I wish we could find somewhere as nice.....I will have to put more effort in, they are out there :)

4. David

David Registered Users

It is good. I don't think that dogs like uncertainty, and although I'm sure they like a change of scene on walks and outings, I feel they get security from coming back to a well accustomed and secure/safe setting.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That sounds perfect, must be a big relief. Sending Charlie to day care next week, not a concern as if he can play, he is happy. But am starting to wonder how I'll find a boarding kennel....was thinking I'd ask if I could stay the first night in the kennel with Charlie to see how it is!

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

oh so pleased she is happy ....gives you peace of mind :)

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=David link=topic=1942.msg15967#msg15967 date=1373392825]
    I don't think that dogs like uncertainty
    [/quote]

Riley certainly doesn't, too much change even at home can put him out of sorts.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=David link=topic=1942.msg15967#msg15967 date=1373392825]
    It is good. I don't think that dogs like uncertainty, and although I'm sure they like a change of scene on walks and outings, I feel they get security from coming back to a well accustomed and secure/safe setting.
    [/quote]
    I agree. They do like a routine (with some fun times thrown in :) ) Great that you have found a caring, safe place to send her. I agree that it really is so valuable to have such a place.

JulieT, I'm glad that Obi is no longer the only dog on here who goes to daycare ;D You will end up with a sleepy puppy - guaranteed!

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Trying not to feel guilty about the "routine" thing...poor Simba was just getting settled into a nice routine and "poof" we disappear on holidays and everything gets roiled up again....bah...

Anyhow - he is booked to go to a kennel for a week of the time we're gone, as my boys are coming down to join us here. I'm hoping it will be okay - it's literally the only place near home that takes large dogs. My previous dog stayed there once, but that was a long time ago.

Another thing to worry about...sigh....

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

No Lisa,there's nothing to worry about......you have everything in hand and you are on HOLIDAY!go drink a cocktail or something! ;)

11. David

David Registered Users

Hi Lisa. Yes nothing for you to worry about. Simba will be fine. The comment about routine and certainty etc was only because Lady has to go to kennels so often.

Have a great holiday and brace yourself for the welcome when you get back! ;D

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't worry about the routine thing - dogs are also very adaptable :) Simba will be absolutely fine :) He has a stable environment in your home these days (way more so than where he came from) and he will take a week in a kennel in his stride.