Socks – when to panic?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Allie, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Allie

Allie Registered Users

My first post, though I've been visiting this forum regularly – very informative and reassuring to know I'm not the only one going through puppy problems!

Lottie is 6 months and my first dog, so it's been a steep learning curve with lots of ups and downs – the downs being mainly stomach-related :(!

On Sunday morning she sicked up a sock she'd eaten a couple of days earlier. Big relief until two minutes later she snaffled another sock from my son's kit bag and had swallowed it before I could do anything about it. So it's now four days since she ate it. There are no signs of any problems (i.e. her appetite is fine, she's always up for a walk or a game, pooing normally) but some people say it could cause a blockage or something. When she ate a plastic bag, that also emerged after two days (but from the other end), so I was hoping this sock would have made an appearance by now.

I'm wondering if I should do anything about it now or just carry on the waiting game – any thoughts or similar experiences?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Socks – when to panic?

Welcome to you Allie.

I am very experienced in this field ::)

Tatze eats dog walking equipment - leads, collars, harnesses. She also ate a leather glove of mine.

The time to worry is if they become lethargic, stop eating, stop pooing or get watery poos. I have spent many days looking out for these symptoms. Otherwise feed as normal exercise as normal.

Tatze has sicked up and pood out all the (many) things she has eaten. Sometimes they come up or out the next day, sometimes much later. She swallowed a WHOLE lead once and threw it up ten days later. Yes - that's a whole lead - not in pieces, no chewing up just gulp! gone! :-\ ::) ???

I am very vigilant indeed - but she is incredibly sneaky at getting her paws on these things.

3. Allie

Allie Registered Users

I can't believe that Tatze had a lead in her stomach for 10 days! I suppose my worry is that if it reached the point where Lottie has the problems you mentioned, it could be difficult to sort out – eg might it require surgery if the sock gets stuck somewhere?

I too try to be vigilant but we're still learning about keeping things out of her reach – she'd been trying on my son's mouthguard before she ate the sock!

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Allie link=topic=10092.msg147558#msg147558 date=1425551797]
    I can't believe that Tatze had a lead in her stomach for 10 days! I suppose my worry is that if it reached the point where Lottie has the problems you mentioned, it could be difficult to sort out – eg might it require surgery if the sock gets stuck somewhere?

[/quote]

Yes, but the only thing to do is hope - nothing gets it out and I have no idea what causes them to bring it up when they do, days later. Or how they eat and poo normally for so long with something hanging around in there - especially a big something. Tatze has often thrown her eatings up in the night but, thankfully, has never re-eaten them.

If they do get a blockage they go downhill fast and surgery would be required. Be sure you know the route to the emergency vet so that you wouldn't have to hang around getting the sat nav sorted. But try not to worry. If Allie is fine then the chances are it won't be a problem.

Fingers crossed the sock appears soon.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Fingers crossed for a quick and easy reappearance. At least a sock is nice and soft. A friend's dachshund ate a pointy stone and it damaged his intestines - he had to have a metre of it removed. The sock should pass out, one way or the other, quite comfortably!

6. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

the things that our darlings eat ::) ::)

Hope Allie passes the sock soon.....

7. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Bloody hell Tatze is very lucky!!! Ha how can leads harnesses and collars be tasty..?! Bella likes to put holes in socks but doesn't eat them, she prefers mud and stones ....... Oh and today when she was crunching something it turned out to be baby teeth ;D awwwwwww she's getting a big girl now.

8. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer doesnt ever eat anything he shoudlnt.

Ehem ::)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just want to say welcome to the forum and I hope you see the sock again soon :)

Was it a fairly thin sock? Unless it was a huge men's hiking sock I wouldn't worry too much. As for the mystery of why they eat these things in the first place....who knows!! :)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Our neighbour's beagles had a thing about eating thongs and sanitary items when their daughter was a teenager.
    They are still going strong.

Welcome from me too,
    jac and Lilly

11. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

A few years ago we had a beautiful Bernese called George. He was obsessed with eating objects. On more than one occasion we took him to the vets immediately after we'd seen him eating something, and he was given an injection (in the back of the neck I think?), to induce vomiting. This was to stop the object getting further than the stomach. He ate washing up sponges, socks, and puppy pads mostly. But gloves and tea towels were a now and then treat! I remember hubbie having to erm, pull a tea towel out when George was having trouble one time.... He binned it and came back indoors, and said "I'll just get a new one out the drawer eh"..... Men. :-\

12. Allie

Allie Registered Users

11 days later and still no sign of the sock (it was a normal thinnish sock not a football sock or anything). She's mostly been fine – a little unwell a few days ago when she had runny poo for a day and kept bringing up little bits of sick (but no sock). The only slightly odd thing is that she's drinking a bit more than usual but otherwise still a (very) healthy appetite and full of energy.

I'm still wondering whether it would be a good idea to get her checked out by a vet just in case or whether there's nothing they can really do unless there are actual signs of a problem.

13. Oberon

Given that she's shown some signs of illness and the sock has not reappeared I would go to the vet to be in the safe side. The vet might not be able to do much on the practical side but can at least make sure she is ok and advise you on what it do, if anything.

Dogs just don't know what's good for them, do they? :)

14. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

You might phone the vet and see what they say....I would think the runny poo, extra thirsty and all that is likely related...but calling and asking at the vets wouldn't be out of line since you know it's been over a week.

15. Allie

Allie Registered Users

I took Lottie to the vet for a check up. He couldn't see any signs of a problem – tummy, heart, temperature all fine. She's eating well, not vomiting, happy to walk etc, so he suggested I keep an eye on her and go back if I notice anything out of the ordinary. He said if he'd been at all worried, he'd have insisted on doing an x-ray.

He told me about a GSD who was operated on because he was unwell and they found about 130 socks in his stomach! So it's not just Labradors! And I'm grateful that it's only one sock – as far as I know :).

16. Oberon

That is reassuring. Sometimes it's good to get a 'all is fine, relax!' from the vet :)

17. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

130 socks??!?? Did they not realise the sock drawers were looking a bit empty? Haha. I don't think we have that many in our house for Amber to steal, but to be honest shoe laces are more her thing anyway!!

18. Oberon

Yeah, who has 130 socks anyway ;D

19. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=10092.msg149129#msg149129 date=1426237991]
    Yeah, who has 130 socks anyway ;D
    [/quote]

I suspect my BIL & SIL with their two sets of twin, rugby-playing boys probably manage to exceed that comfortably. But they're not typical ;D