Soft stools

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lisaloob8611, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lisaloob8611

Lisaloob8611 Registered Users

Please help. I've weaned flora off pedigree pouches wet food as she seemed to gobble food up too quick and thought it wasn't as healthy. I weaned her on to pedigree puppy dry chicken and rice and her poos are still soft absolutely rotten and orangey colour. Shall I change her food again or will I give it another couple of weeks? She's been having the dry now for a week and obviously takes her time now. Any help is appreciated

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there Lisa.
    Kibble is probably better for most dogs than wet food.
    How much are you feeding her, and how often?
    It can take a while for puppy poos to settle, even just with the upset of coming to a new home.
    Its normal to transitions food slowly over 7-10 days to try and avoid upsets, but if she was already upset, it probably made little difference.
    I don't know much about Pedigree foods, so no idea if that could be the issue.
    I think I would give it a little longer maybe.

3. Lisaloob8611

Lisaloob8611 Registered Users

Hi there. I feed her 3 times a day and she has 80g I've found her not to be scaving now for food as obviously the wet food wasn't doing anything for her. I will try and keep it going until the end of week and if not have look at royal canin kibble

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm...that looks about right, checked the feeding chart, worth persevering right now I guess, though I don't think Pedigree is that great a food (not as bad as Bakers though :D ).

A lot of the vets used to sell the Royal Canin though that means nothing. Vets generally aren't renowned for their expertise on nutrition. Apologies to any jobbing vets!

You might want to check out the All About Dog Food website. Its not the be all and end all with regards advice, but can give you a bit of a guide/
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/
    Worth paying a little extra for a mid-range food I would say.

We all feed different things, so you will get as many answers as people reply, if you ask for a recommendation!!!
    Rule of thumb is to spend as much as you can comfortably afford.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I wouldn't feed Pedigree, personally, as it's at the lower-end of the food market. I also moved my new puppy off the Royal Canin Maxi Junior she came on, as I didn't like the ingredients list. RC is popular because it's often suggested by breeders and vets. This has less to do with it being the best food, and more to do with it being a business decision. There are plenty of other foods out there which have clearer ingredients lists and fewer additives.

My criteria for choosing a food (which may not be yours, you have to make up your own mind) is that there is a single protein source (that is, all the protein comes from one type of animal) and a single carbohydrate source. I choose that solely because it means that, if my dogs ever start showing signs of allergies or intolerances, I can quickly rule out those things as a factor, by switching to another food which has a different single protein source and single carbohydrate source (eg switching from fish and potato to duck and rice - if symptoms stop, you can assume it's either the fish or the potato that's causing the problem).

There is a huge range of foods available and, as Jac says, if you ask for recommendations from ten people, you'll get ten different answers. Decide what it is you want from your food in the way of ingredients, and then look through the (vast) array of foods on offer and find one that matches both those criteria and your budget.