Sometimes I feel like Rue should have more energy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

The first 2 months we had Rue, she would go go go. Evenings always consisted of her running around and playing hard for hours on end!

Now she is going on 5 months (Nov 9), and our evenings are much more calm and mellow. She gets two 15 minute walks a day and several trips to the dog park throughout the week, plus regular games of fetch and tug of war. Oh, and we do a training session every evening. And often, she is content just chewing on a toy or bone, or some other quiet, low energy activity. Is this normal as they get a little older?

Will it pick back up once she hits the teenage years? Most teenage pups I have been around have been a walking ball of energy 24/7!

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Sometimes I feel like Rue should have more energy?

At home, Harley is very chilled (unless we have visitors then it's a mad half hour). She calmed down a lot around 5/6 months too :) we do short bursts of training/playing, but she is happy to lie down and chew on her antler/bull horn for hours :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy is also 5 months old and is very snoozy from 7pm onwards.

She has two half hour walks now, plus training and play with Tatze.

Tatze has always slept a LOT too - it's a Lab thing, I think. As soon as you go out for a walk they are full of it, but at home snoozing is the order of the day.

Now if you want a lively, never ever stop pooch - try a Springer Spaniel!

Personally I love my laid back Labs ;D

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

My labradors think night time starts at about 8 pm and lasts until about 7 am. They think it is highly inconvenient of me wanting them to go out for a wee last thing at night, and barely raise an eyebrow when my OH comes downstairs around 6am.

So, your sounds pretty normal to me. The important thing is that she has plenty of energy and 'go' during the day, and especially whilst you are out and about. If that's not the case, you should maybe get her checked over.

5. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Ours are the same, they have a mad hour around 8pm, when we usually end up doing some training and playing a game, hide the toys under the vetbed was last nights favourite, Jack ended up totally under the vetbed. After that they're out for the night, and it's literally all i can do to get them up and into their crate around 11pm when i go to bed. Jack gets up and plods across on his own as soon as i turn off the tv, Barney does anything he can to not have to get up lol.

They do have several mad bursts around the garden throughout the day, and often a short lead walk around the block. I think having two definitely ensures they get plenty of exercise, as the other one is always up for a chase ;D

Lou x

6. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Good to know Rue is pretty normal! I got so used to her being an insane little puppy that the calmness has caught me off guard! I'm enjoying it immensely though.

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=8514.msg120348#msg120348 date=1414517456]
    Ours are the same, they have a mad hour around 8pm, when we usually end up doing some training and playing a game, hide the toys under the vetbed was last nights favourite, Jack ended up totally under the vetbed. After that they're out for the night, and it's literally all i can do to get them up and into their crate around 11pm when i go to bed. Jack gets up and plods across on his own as soon as i turn off the tv, Barney does anything he can to not have to get up lol.

They do have several mad bursts around the garden throughout the day, and often a short lead walk around the block. I think having two definitely ensures they get plenty of exercise, as the other one is always up for a chase ;D

Lou x
    [/quote]

I love to hear you talk about the differences between the two. Too cute.

[quote author=editor link=topic=8514.msg120333#msg120333 date=1414514024]

My labradors think night time starts at about 8 pm and lasts until about 7 am. They think it is highly inconvenient of me wanting them to go out for a wee last thing at night, and barely raise an eyebrow when my OH comes downstairs around 6am.

So, your sounds pretty normal to me. The important thing is that she has plenty of energy and 'go' during the day, and especially whilst you are out and about. If that's not the case, you should maybe get her checked over.

[/quote]

She definitely has periods throughout the day where she is high energy. And she is always in good spirits. Thanks for confirming it's normal!

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=8514.msg120321#msg120321 date=1414513046]
    Gypsy is also 5 months old and is very snoozy from 7pm onwards.

She has two half hour walks now, plus training and play with Tatze.

Tatze has always slept a LOT too - it's a Lab thing, I think. As soon as you go out for a walk they are full of it, but at home snoozing is the order of the day.

Now if you want a lively, never ever stop pooch - try a Springer Spaniel!

Personally I love my laid back Labs ;D
    [/quote]

No no no noooo. I'm loving this new phase. :) I can actually sit and relax now!

[quote author=Naya link=topic=8514.msg120315#msg120315 date=1414512500]
    At home, Harley is very chilled (unless we have visitors then it's a mad half hour). She calmed down a lot around 5/6 months too :) we do short bursts of training/playing, but she is happy to lie down and chew on her antler/bull horn for hours :)
    [/quote]

Oh, if there are other people around, Rue goes nuts as well!