Sore ear -

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Karen, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I noticed Merlin shaking his head and have just had a look - one of his ears is pink and beautifulfully clean, while the other is red and a bit sore- looking, with black gunk... Obviously a vet visit on Monday, but does anyone have a tip what we can do to help in the meantime?

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

If Merlin is scratching his ear, it's brown and gunky could it be mites? Thornit Powder could help, if you have any. Poor boy :( x

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Poor boy!

I wouldn't put anything in there until the vet has identified the cause and location of the problem in the ear canal. It sounds like an infection if it's come on pretty suddenly.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yes, I assume an infection, or possibly mites. No thorn it powder here Helen... It doesn't really seem to be bothering him, so I'll just leave well alone until Monday. Thanks both x

charlie likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly is the same. Black gunk in her ear we noticed a couple of days ago. Not managed to the vet yet, but not in the least bothered by it.
    Vets Monday too.

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

It is possible to clean his outer ear with baby wipes....my vet told me to do so to keep Finns ears clean....

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd leave it as it is so the vet can make a full assessment, with all symptoms visible.

Hope all the sore ears are better soon!

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

A lot of vets work by smell too for ear things if you clean it they might miss something. I usually leave it alone until the vets had a good look.

9. MF

MF Registered Users

I'd be cleaning the ear (but not digging into the ear canal) with cotton wool and cooled boiled water to dampen the cotton wool (squeeze it well to get rid of excess water). Then dry thoroughly with dry cotton wool. He'll feel a lot more comfortable if they're clean. Monday is still a while away with a sore ear. The vet will use a scope to see right down into the ear, where you won't be able to clean in any case.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@Karen How is Merlin's ear? xx

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It's a bacterial infection - he has ear drops and already seems much better, thanks for asking @charlie. I hope Lily is feeling better too, @drjs@5 ?

MF and charlie like this.