Spay For 6 mo female English Labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gunny, Sep 28, 2023.

?

When to spay? We do not plan to breed her.

1. 6 months.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6 months to 1 year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. After first heat

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Gunny

Gunny Registered Users

We do not plan to breed our female English Labrador and would like to know when it would be best to have her spayed. She is currently 6 months old.

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

My vet always said after first heat. I have had 3 girls, all done at this time with no problems. All lived to a ripe old age.

3. Skye Bomb

Skye Bomb Registered Users

My girl is 10 months just had her first season and being done in January, as vet said wait until 3 months after first season. My other lab was done before her first season and is now 10, no issues

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We are going through this with Jenny right now. She just started her first heat, and is scheduled for her spay in April.

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

6. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

I’ve had neutered dogs in the past but not neutered my current dog who is now 5. I wanted to work out what is best for her. She is terrified at the vets and I felt therefore I couldn’t give her an operation she didn’t really need. Our vets agree it would be very distressing for her. We can manage her season safely and just walk her on the lead where no dogs are off lead. She also copes very well with her seasons and is actually very sweet during them and it not agitated at all. There are benefits from letting your dog have a couple of seasons in terms of bone/ joint development and also a few other benefits . You do always have to keep the risk of pyometria in mind and be watching after a season. So let her become and adult and have at least one season and see what is right for her and you perhaps ?