Spaying a female

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mary Lily, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Mary Lily

Mary Lily Registered Users

I've read some articles and found information on females and their season. I do not want my puppy to go into her first season. Therefore we will have her spayed. At what month can we have the procedure done?

2. AJ

AJ Registered Users

Thats a really good question and there seems to be a little debate about it depending on where you look. The vet that I go to recommended spaying prior to the first heat to decrease the risk of mammary cancer so I am having Koda spayed next month, which will make her a little older than 6 months.

3. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

I had our GR female spayed at 6 months because like you I didn't want her to come into her first season either. That's a good age to do it as you never know when it's going to happen.

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

If you want to spay before the first season then 6 months is the standard advice for large dogs.

5. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

We had Harley spayed at just 7 months, our vet was happy to wait until 8 but 7 was convenient for us as I could take a week off to make sure she recovered okay. Turned out I didn't need a week of for her, but more to recover from the worry I felt.:) She bounced back so quickly and it is like nothing even changed.

Plum's mum likes this.