Spaying Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Christine Law, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Christine Law

Christine Law Registered Users

RouxBee had her spaying surgery last week on Thursday (6 days ago). It has been a nightmare! First, she has small red bumps on her tummy that was suspected allergy to grass/pollen. Turned out to be small bacterial infection so they put her on antibiotics just to be safe after surgery. On Friday night she started to leak and by Saturday morning incision was dripping bloody fluid. Vet said probably a seroma, not an emergency and to bring her in Monday morning to be checked. Took her back to vet yesterday and she had to sedate her again because it was a seroma but also suspected a small hernia. Drained fluid, fixed hernia and stitched back up. This morning back to vet AGAIN with more bloody leakage! This time they put 7 staples in and put her back in cone. Tonight I take her out to use bathroom and when we get back through back door I notice she is bleeding on floor and there is a TERRIBLE odor! Called the vet and she tells me that antibiotics are probably not working and will have to be changed and to wrap her with gauge and ace bandage to keep drainage mess from floor and have her in her office first thing in morning so they can culture the fluid to see what the bacteria is resistant to and may take another 2 days to get results. In meantime, she will have to have open wound to drain it all out!

I have never had any problems with any of our previous pets we have ever had spayed. Of course they were older rescue pets and not our rambunctious 7 month old baby. Still I have never heard of such a nightmare with spaying an otherwise healthy animal. I am besides myself with worry! Scared to death to leave her alone!

Stacia likes this.
  2. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I am so sorry you and your girl are going through this @Christine Law, I can only imagine how horribly stressful it is. I really hope it all gets sorted as soon as poss and your girl is back to being her normal self.

Shawn M likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

So sorry @Christine Law that you are having such a terrible time with your girl, a nightmare indeed. Ghastly for you and her. Here's hoping the vets can get it under control very soon. :hug:

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Oh @Christine Law I am so sorry this is happening and I totally understand your worry. Really hope the vets can sort quickly and things improve.

AlliumPurpleSensation likes this.
  5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor RouxBee and poor you. That’s really bad luck. I hope she improves soon.

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry I hope there's some improvement soon. Maybe if there's not get a second opinion?

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh no, what an ordeal. I really hope there's some improvement soon :hug:

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So sorry to read this @Christine Law, I used to be a vet nurse and cannot remember anything like that, I wonder if they have left a swab in but don't accuse them of that, it is just a thought to explain the foul odour! I am sure that once she is drained out and on different antibiotics she will be fine.

Just to make you feel a little better, a friend of mine has bowel cancer (well gone now with chemo) and had the tumour taken out, her wound bled and oozed and still is four weeks later, surgeon says it is quite normal.

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Similar happened to the outlaws Jack Russell - she had an emergency spay for pyometra. The wound wept, stank, wouldn't heal. The outlaws are of the view "oh she's a dog, it'll sort itself out". Only when the wound completely failed & opened up did they decide to take her back to the vets. The brave little dog recovered with veterinary assistance. I hope RouxBee turns a corner soon, it's such a worry.

Stacia likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a worry for you; I hope she's ok (and you too).

11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Poor girl...hope she's ok. Definitely very worrying!

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh how awful, poor girl. I really hope she recovers and gets back to her normal self. You must be beside yourself with worry. xx

13. Christine Law

Christine Law Registered Users

Update: Took her back this morning to vet. They decided it was best to keep her there for the next 2 days while they sent culture off to the LSU Medical Facility to see exactly what bacteria is brewing and if she is not resistant to the antibiotic they have her on. Poor girl was so pitiful when I left her wanting to come with me - I cried! It also doesn't help that we are in the middle of mourning right now as well. Saturday in the middle of our Rouxbee girl leaking through incision, we got news that my daughter's best friend who was a marine was killed in an accident. He was like another son to us and they talked on the phone every single day! So I have had her home from college crying non stop and Rouxbee bleeding everywhere and refusing to stay calm - wanting to play and not understanding why she can't. Then, yesterday we find out that it will be another 7-10 days before our Marine's body arrives home - all of this landing perilously close to our leaving on the first family trip/vacation we have taken in over 5 years since my son (her twin's) cancer. Needless to say I am feeling very overwhelmed!

I am also feeling so guilty about even doing Rouxbee's surgery now. I am so very worried about her! Thank you all for the support!

14. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Goodness @Christine Law, I'm so terribly sorry to read all this. What a deluge to deal with all at once. At least RouxBee is in the right place now, to deal with her issues. Once her physical difficulties have been overcome I'm sure she'll bounce right :)back

15. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

It’s horrible the way life chucks lots of horrible things at us in overwhelming proportions at times. Feel for you @Christine Law - hardly surprising you are feeling overwhelmed. You must be very worried about Rouxbee but it’s best she is at the vet and let’s hope they can get her better quickly. :hug:

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh you poor things! I am so sorry about all the troubles you are going through.

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So sorry, sending best wishes to you and your family xxx

18. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

My thoughts are with you. This is a terrible time for you all round.I do hope everything feels better for you soon.

19. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It's good that they've kept her in. She'll get the best medical care xx

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Goodness. How awful to have this all happening at once. Hope your pooch is better soon, and at least that load will be off your mind. :(