Spaying questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elsie, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

Our puppy is experiencing her first heat (now day 7) & I plan to spay her before her second season:-
    1) I thought the procedure should be 3 months after the start of heat, but vetinerary nurse advised that it’s 3 months after the end of heat (I e approximately 4 months from start of heat) So now i’m confused and I can’t find much information about this on the net.
    2) Does the procedure date need to be that exact? Perhaps it could be done at 3 1/2 months after start of heat? (Midway between 3 and 4 months)?

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi, my vet who have great respect for, told me to count 14 weeks from the end of her season and from that point there would be a 2 month window of opportunity when her hormones would be at the most stable and therefore the best time to spay. So I plan to have Cassie spayed in February, her heat finished in mid October. Hope this helps.

3. redmal1

redmal1 Registered Users

Hi Elsie. Bitches go through the whole pregnancy hormone routine regardless of whether mated or not. So they have about 3 weeks of being in season, 9 weeks of "pregnancy", then 2 or 3 weeks of "nursing", then the hormones go back to sleep again. Until next time! Best to spay when everything is at it's calmest so 15 weeks after start of season or a little bit more to be sure.

It's amazing when you think about it, they have even been known to nurse an orphan puppy (or kitten) or 2 when they haven't ever had a litter. And a bitch will sometimes share another's puppies even if they haven't any of their own.

Beanwood and selina27 like this.