Sprinting Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

I'm keeping 5 month old Nelly to walks between 20 mins - 50 mins with little bits of running and walking inbetween but nothing too strenuous. Today for example, Nelly was sprinting around a field with a collie and running at her speed almost non stop. Do I need to worry that she's over working herself or causing damage or do I just let her run in circumstances like this. To be honest there's no stopping her- she loves it.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Lots of pet dog puppies run around with other puppies and older dogs and come to no harm. My older dog did this. I don't know whether it caused him any harm - he had cruciate ruptures at 8 months, and knock on joint problems that will last him the rest of his life but I don't know whether the type of exercise he had as a pup caused these problems - I doubt it, I think they would have happened anyway.

But my second puppy definitely didn't do this. No way. First because I didn't like what it taught a puppy, which is the most terrific fun is to be had running around with another dog ignoring my owner, and secondly because I don't know what the physical impact is I decided against allowing it.

3. MF

MF Registered Users

I was told by the breeder that what you describe is bad. Sorry!! She told me a puppy should play with other puppies - same age and size - so that they flop at the same time, give in to their exhaustion. A Lab puppy doesn't know its limits and will try to keep up with the faster dog and might injure itself.

Look, all the above is what I was told - altho I'd think the breeder with years of experience would have insight. But I'd be interested to know what others think.

4. Olivia__

Hmmmmm this is definitely a tricky one. But it seems such a shame to walk away from a potential great play mate. I mean how often do you find a puppy the same age as yours. She just doesn't get enough exercise just walking with me. Any ideas?

5. Olivia__

I would hate to compromise her health and joints etc but also I want her to enjoy running free and doing doggy things. What did you guys do for exercising your pups if I'm not allowed to do what I'm doing!?

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would sometimes let Harley play with other pups, but would also practice recall and make sure they had lots of little rest breaks by giving high value treats. I found it beneficial for Harley not to play with every dog we seen as this may cause them wanting to play with every dog, but every now and then I let her and am glad I did. It's finding the middle ground in my opinion.

7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I would bring Axel to the dog park and let him play with all dogs. As soon as he layed down once then it was home time. I have no idea if that has compromised his joints or not. I brought it up with the vet at his 1 year check up, he said that he is in perfect shape with zero concerns, so hopefully his joints are fine.

When playing with a bigger dog it was all just wrestling, no running around. I found when he played with dogs his age then there was chasing involved.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You could train her. :) There is no need to deprive her of other dogs - but you could (if you want to, there is no 'allowed' or not, it is entirely up to you what you do with your pup) take the view that what you want your dog to do when she sees another dog is a) turn back to you for you to tell her 'go say hi' or not b) if you tell her to go, to say hello confidently and politely and then return her attention to you.

So, in terms of exercise - within the limits for her age - you could get her running by training recalls, fetch, go out to a target (and then train stop whistle), hunt an area...all sorts of things. :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't see anything wrong with enthusiastic play and running, broken up with recalls and rest breaks.

People get very concerned about over-use, which is sensible in relation to things like running on stairs and jumping, but bodies and joints also need to be used to develop normally.... Bouts of running (combined with rests and plenty of opportunities for bringing down the excitement level) would be something I'd put in the 'normal and beneficial activity' category. Young animals play and run - it's a normal thing for the body to do.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think this is very true. Only....when young animals have free access to other animals, they play briefly, I think. When dogs are deprived of access to other dogs - as most pet dogs are for most of the day - play can be frantic, and intense, and there isn't much let up.

Betsy and Charlie can play as they like (apart from crashing around the house which I don't allow because it wreaks my house) but this is because it's very familiar, and one or other of them will stop quite quickly. So Betsy walks with Charlie - and nags him to play, and he will for a bit then tell her to 'get lost' because he wants to sniff - so they stay sensible.

There is nothing I hate more than coming across another stupid young Labrador (as Betsy surely is) and the other owner to say 'oh, let them play! It'll wear them out!'. Grrr...first, it'll wear her out for doing anything useful with me, and secondly she'll likely end up hurting herself, crashing about in mad excitement.

11. MF

MF Registered Users

I feel your pain! I spent a great deal of time seeking out playmates for Snowie. I found the best ones - if no Labs or GRs around - were small-breed adult dogs who were his size even tho they were fully grown. I didn't like him getting body-bashed by big heavy dogs - I am reminded of a boy at school who was playing rugby and a big boy fell on him and broke his collarbone. I'm guessing this is the concern with puppies playing rough and fast with bigger dogs. Snowie did play with dogs of all ages and sizes - it was very good for his socialization - but I was very quick to stop things if I thought he could get injured.

You could get another puppy you know! :p Altho jokes aside, I wish I'd done so then when Snowie really, really wanted a playmate. He's older now and he's very selective with who he plays with. But what fun he'd have had then with another pup of similar age to play with all day!

12. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I know what you mean, Olivia, in terms of the sheer joy at watching them have a blast versus the worry regarding potential health problems with joints.

I am more cautious now about the running free stuff (Plum is 7 months) because when she did it at a younger age I felt it was too much and it scared me.

Today we were walking and twice she had what I call a lairy, fast running like a hyper version of the zoomies. It lasted less than a minute each time because the other dogs weren't interested. But I worry about her taking a tumble and breaking something, I don't know if this is over cautiousness or sensible caution!

When we're at the park where we will always bump into other dogs, I keep away as much as possible and if I don't want her to play I keep her focused on me with "find it" or "touch" or practising heel work with her trotting beside me without lead looking at me and sitting as soon as I stop when she'll get a treat. Somehow I have said "stay with me" often enough (but to be honest it wasn't planned!) for her to stay right by my side when she hears it and then I turn it into a game or training opportunity, often for just a minute, but it's done the job of distracting her.

However, there are times she just can't help herself and she'll run off with a 'friend', so I'll allow it for a short time then call her back, it's good recall practice.

13. BuddysRick

BuddysRick Active Member

I dont see a problem with letting your dog run but I do agree with trying your best to let your pup play with other puppies.

Have you tried fetch? If I dont have time for a nice walk I will play fetch. If the weather is bad, Ill goto the basement and play fetch indoors. Labs seem to love fetch. The best part is that it will wear them out pretty fast. 10 minutes or so of fetch is probably more than enough.