Stag Antlers ( stagbars )

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Apr 16, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Wondering if anyone has bought these for their dogs ? Sadly, we dont have the right sort of deer in our region or else I`d be scouring the woodlands myself :)

2. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: Stag Antlers ( stagbars )

hello yes I buy them. Both mine love them when they are brand new, and will chew on them enthusiastically and a lot for a few days. After that they still like them but I normally have to soak them in water overnight to keep interest up - as suggested by the website. they usually both grab one each at night and chill out having a good chew... They are not only a good chew, but in our house a good Chasey Initiater (they always have one they both prefer and brodick likes to grab it, run at Cuillin, and shove it in her face in a nar nar sort of way then leg it off looking over his shoulder ready for the Fun To Commence...last for at least 6 weeks as well before you have to throw them out as they get too small for comfort...

3. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Have loads and absolutely love them. The girls quietly sit and gnaw at them for hours, have never splintered them or managed to chew big chunks off (and this is Tarka, the dog for which tufftoys are the work of a moment to destroy...). One of our nurses has a staffie whose latest exploit was breaking out of his car crate and eating the drivers seat and handbrake in the (new) car and even he hasn't managed to do any serious damage to a jumbo stagbar even after 4 hours of effort. Managed to gnaw bits off about the size of a grain of rice apparently. Get the extra-large jumbo version for a lab and you should be fine. And for all you folk out there with allergic dogs - these are excellent hypoallergenic chews.

4. kateincornwall

Thanks both, have just ordered from Amazon , Sam does love a good knaw, usually get him marrow bones but with the last one, he managed to splinter it on the end , worried me that he might also chip teeth so the stagbars sounded a good option :)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ooh they sound good, just had a look on Amazon, will order some later, thanks Kate. Helen x

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We got one but Riley still prefers rawhide disappointingly :-\

7. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Digby loves them. :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So cross - I found one in the woods a while back - and threw it away!!! ::)

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have been giving them to my dogs for a few years now. Whenever they lose interest in them I soak the stag bars in either some stock or bovril which seems to renew the dogs' love for them. :D Given the choice they would probably prefer a rawhide, but I don't give them that choice. :p

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wish I could find some in the woods, they are £8.99 for large ones on Amazon, but I guess they must last quite a long time. Helen x

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Does anyone know, should I come across a stray antler (I live close to the Scottish Deer Centre ;D ) is it safe to give to Lilly - or do they have to be rendered sterile etc etc by some mysterious radiation technique??
    Any advice welcome.
    I buy them from the ecodogcompany.com and there large ones are pretty large, and they periodically do £1 off them! Nothing like being opportunistic though :)

jac

12. kateincornwall

I really dont know Jac, but will try and find out for you .

13. kateincornwall

www.stagantlerdogchews.co.uk

Have a look at this site Jac, according to them, they are not treated at all .

14. kateincornwall

15. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

When will Amy be ok to chew on these?

16. kateincornwall

I would say as soon as Jade has her adult teeth ? Although I guess the chewing may help with teething ?

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thanks for the link kate. I wil keep my eyes peeled. Not sure I could fit one in my pocket though :eek:
    My sister in law used one for teething. Her puppy loves them not heard of an age restriction.

Jac

18. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I will have a look today. Got to be better than our door frame or the rose bush she is trying to destroy. Could you give me some ideas off other things she could have to chew/play with?

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Soft toys with lots of arms, legs, ears and snouts that could be chewed off were a favourite here. Also Kongs - I'd recommend Kongs stuffed with nice things (a smear of honey, cream cheese, kibble, filled with yoghurt and frozen.....there are lots of Kong stuffing ideas on the 'net). In terms of other animal body parts, dried tendons are good, or bully sticks (i.e. dried bull penises - delectable if you are a Labrador, not so much if you're human).

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Nylabones survived pretty well in our house. Kongs are the best though :)