STAGbar

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, any thoughts on Stagbars? Maisie has no interest in any of the chew toys I've bought her, so popped into Jollys pet store and the lady there recommended a Stagbar. She said they were ok for young puppies (8 weeks).

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: STAGbar

These have been discussed on the forum a few times.

Some people stick to only giving dogs things to chew that can be dented by a finger nail - so this rules out antlers and recreational bones (but is often not applied to "meat and bone parcels" as part of raw feeding). Others are happy to provide antlers and hard recreational bones.

In part the differences may be about a view of risk - the key risk being to teeth. And this may vary depending on the dog. Some dogs are sensible, and don't chomp down hard on something that could break their teeth. Other dogs are not, and will bite down harder and harder on something that could break their teeth - and lots of dogs do suffer damage.

My boy is not sensible about how he chews, so he doesn't get hard things.

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks Julie, I was a bit concerned as they are so hard. Don't think I'll take the risk at the moment as find something else (other than the furniture!) for her to chew on!

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I read about one getting full of maggots - it put me off!!

:eek: :-\

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

How about a nylabone? There are some great flavours around (although Penny wasn't too keen on them).

Also if you look for the actual Nylabone brand ones rather than imitations they do a 'puppy pack' which has a white calcium bone, a rubber chicken flavour one and one that's like a really hard biscuit. You can also get them seperatly as well. I found Penny loved the hard biscuit one. I also bought the puppy dentasticks.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze is chewing on a giant nylabone as we speak :)

She had the nylabone keys as a pup and loved them. At eight months old she suddenly destroyed them, but I would certainly get more for another pup.

This is the one she likes, I leave it in her crate and sometimes hear the chewing on it before we get up. Now and again she goes and gets it out of her crate and has a good old chew.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002ASPT6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the keys - they are great, and fine to leave in the crate for a tiny pup.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002DGM7K/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Ewww, maggots....that's it, she's not having a stagbar now!!! :p

Thanks guys, there is a bewildering amount of stuff out there to choose from and you could waste so much money on products that are a waste of time! I'll have a look at the Nyla bone products and get something ordered (thank god for Amazon!). ;D

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Just to confuse you Debs. None of my dogs have ever been impressed by nylabone.

I got Molly a puppy pack. The only one she was interested in was the biscuit one which she devoured.

There is an enormous amount of stuff for dogs you can waste your money on.

This is written by the woman who has just done a tour of the town's charity shops in search of soft toys for her dog. Molly is currently blissed out with an orange plush fish bought for a whole 50p.

9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Tina, the thought of Molly "blissed" out did make me laugh!!

It's all very confusing deciding what you think your dog may like! Maisie doesn't seem bothered about any of the toys we have for her and would rather go outside and chew on the bark on the flower beds or tear up an empty loo roll! Oh, and she isn't that fussed about the kongs I have given her so far either. ::)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I put nylabones in the same category as antlers, and judge the risk to be about the same. They may be fine for some dogs, and not others. It's important to make sure these things are ok for your individual dog, I think. Lots of people are happy with them, but I don't use them for my dog.

http://www.dentalvets.co.uk/docs/Toys for Dogs from a Dental Perspective.pdf

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My two love Anco Roots from the Eco Dog Company , not as hard as stag bars but keep them happy for hours ;)

12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

When Molly was very small I bought rice bones (from Pets at Home, or I'm sure other places have them). They're hard enough to keep the puppy occupied but also gradually dissolve when chewed so not so likely to damage teeth - and of course rice won't upset her tum.
    I couldn't get Molly interested in Kongs either till she was quite a lot older - strange as my last dog loved them from the word go.

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My two have had antlers and nylabones but I was concerned at how hard they were and also chunks would come off both.

They now have anco roots as well and love them. They soften as they chew and last ages. They've had their current ones 4 months and still going.

PS. I started a thread called Anco Root experiment in Labrador chat. I can't do links but if you put it in search it should find it.

14. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jen link=topic=5643.msg71650#msg71650 date=1398701608]...PS. I started a thread called Anco Root experiment in Labrador chat. I can't do links but if you put it in search it should find it....[/quote]

Here you go Jen : Anco Roots

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have just cleaned out our understairs area, and found a pair of soft slip ons that my mum ordered years ago (they are horrible!) just given one to Benson..who is now in seventh heaven! :)

I wish people didn't put up on these links for dogs toys/beds/chews....it is costing me a fortune! So far in the last couple of days alone I have ordered 2 vetbeds and now the giant Nylabone!!! ::) :eek:

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I know what you mean Kate, my OH is always saying "what is all this PayPal stuff??"
    Eeek!

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks Uncle Bob. I think that's at least the second time you've done that for me. I really need to learn how only just worked out how to do quotes. ::)

18. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

I swear by stagbars think they are amazing. Lola is teething at the minute (lost 4 front teeth ;D) and she chews on that and a tough rubber ring they work a treat for her.

19. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

Hi.
    I find izzy loves rope. So we got a rope bone thing and a tennis ball with rope coming out of it. We also give her a empty plastic bottle. Surprivised of course but she really enjoys these.

20. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jen link=topic=5643.msg71735#msg71735 date=1398715179]
    Thanks Uncle Bob. I think that's at least the second time you've done that for me. I really need to learn how only just worked out how to do quotes. ::)
    [/quote]

No problem ;) Try this:

1. Open a new browser window (in Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever you use).
    2. Navigate to the page that you want to link to.
    3. Select the whole of the address bar and copy it.
    4. Back on your original browser window for the forum click the Reply button as you normally would to make a new post.
    5. Select the icon that says 'Insert Hyperlink' when you hover the mouse pointer over it (it's the second item in the second row of icons, directly below the Italic icon on the top row, and above the ;) and :D icons on the bottom row.
    6. The icon will automatically paste the following: [ url ] and [ /url ] (spaces added to avoid creating a link!) and leave the cursor between the two sections.
    7. You now need to Paste the copied address between the two sections - use either Ctrl & C or Right-Click your mouse and select Paste.
    8. The above will post a basic link showing the address copied. However, if you have time, and the inclination, you can go further ...
    9. For example, replace the first "]" with "=" and then put a "]" at the end of the Pasted address. You can now put your own link text between the two sections. You can also format this custom text in the normal way, Bold, new colour etc.

So, using Pippa's "How do I teach my Labrador to fetch?" post as an example.
    The address of the post is: http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=4089.0
    A basic link is: http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=4089.0
    A custom link is: [size=14pt]Your link text here[/size]

PS: You'll notice from the above that you can actually post basic links without using the Insert Hyperlink icon - just Paste the address straight into your post. Simples! ;)

HTH