stairs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Teresa, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Teresa

Teresa Registered Users

My pup is 11 weeks old. For the first 2 weeks we caromed him up and down all the steps in our home, per the recommendations on the site. This week he has shown us he is capable and rather insistent on navigating the steps himself. I am happy to carry him but there are times when he is faster than me or doesn't want to be picked up. How long are you supposed to carry them up and down steps? Should I be concerned about him doing this on his own at this point?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think the recommendation is to restrict access to stairs until they are a year old and their growth plates have closed, to minimise the risk to their joints. This isn't always practical, obviously. But at 11 weeks, I'd certainly still be carrying him up and down the stairs and blocking them off so he can't do it himself. I've taught mine (11 months) to walk slowly up and down stairs so that they at least minimise the impact.

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I would get a baby stair gate if you can. I'm a bit of of a worrier and have wrapped my girl in cotton wool. She has only ever done stairs twice and that's when it has been an absolute necessity (at my mum's split level house). As it turns out with with the diagnosis of ED it's the best thing I could have done. Protect your little puppy I don't think you can be too careful.

4. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

I think that a flight of stairs should def be restricted - we use a baby gate at the bottom and so he doesnt go upstairs at all. We have a small step in and out of the front door and I let him negotiate this himself as its quite east and a fluid movement - think its all about balancing really = but I def wouldnt let my boy come up and down more than 2 stairs.

5. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

We use stair gate to limit access to stairs. I was carrying pups for as long as I could. Shelby was carried till she was about 6.5 months old. Ellie is nearly 6 months old & I just stopped last week as she's too heavy for me (23kg).

6. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

I also use a stair gate to stop Jura accessing the stairs, I think it is wise to while they are so young. There is a single small step out of the patio doors which I let her do by herself, but other than that I do try and lift her to restrict impact on her joints. Though her current obsession with trying to get on the sofas is making this a challenge - ah well all part of the fun and games!

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I always used a stair gate to stop Juno going up and downstairs to protect her joints, and to allow that cats to escape when she was very little :rolleyes:. As she has ED she is now banned from using stairs and we only use stairs when there is no alternative when we are out and at that point she goes up and down slowly - no rush to get to the top or bottom :D.

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Chepi doesn't go upstairs but for months she used a ramp from the back door into the garden! How precious am I :rolleyes: