starting gundog training in April’18....

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Anne123, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I contacted a local gundog training location if it is possible for me and Finn to start training in April... I am thrilled that they accepted us, even though Finn is 4 years old!
    I once did gundogtraining with our first lab Doerak. Due to traffic jams and children being small I had to resign.
    Do you think Finn is too old to start? He is very eager to learn and work!

BonnieScot likes this.
  2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Oh how fantastic @Anne123 :). A dog is never too old to learn new skills and I'll look forward to hearing how your training goes.

Anne123 likes this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

No, don't think is too old, not one bit. The only thing you may find is that Finn has set "patterns" in his mind regarding retrieving, borne out of his experiences to date.

Casper started a bit of gundoggery around 6/7 years old, he LOVES it!

An excuse to share one of my favourite videos

Joy, Stacia, selina27 and 3 others like this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Looking very good.

5. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

6. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That sounds great @Anne123 , give it a go and see what happens, there's nothing to lose is there?

Anne123 likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh how exciting! I'm sure you'll have a great time, and so will Finn.

Anne123 likes this.
  8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

A dog is never to old but remember he is new to this so you should treat him as though he is a pup and make sure you start with the basics. How is he sitting and waiting until you send him on a retrieve, does he come right back, has he had birds, does he deliver to hand does he know to do a finish to sit at your side? Just a few things he needs to know lots to learn and lots of fun to be had by both of you.

Anne123 likes this.
  9. David

David Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Labs are bright dogs and never to late to learn new stuff. Good luck in April. Looking forward to reading your reports.

Anne123 likes this.
  10. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Got an email that we are classified in C2 class and starting on the 27th of March. I am so excited!!

selina27 and Karen like this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Exciting!

:dancesheep:

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh great!! Looking forward to your updates!!

13. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Anne

Another 'not too old' vote from me too.

We've just re-started gundog training for Harvey who is 4 (I say re-started rather than simply started because we did start when he was much younger and it just wasn't working - whether that be because of his inability to focus at that age or, more likely, our inability to train him, even with assistance!). Anyway, he is having great fun at the classes and is considerably calmer than he was when we tried it previously, which is making it more enjoyable for all concerned. Don't think that this implies that 4 is too old and that he plods along though - he still races around like RoadRunner on speed and makes the younger dogs look positively sedate! He has taken to it so well that the trainer says that he is a special dog (I'm taking that description to mean that he has potential rather than that he requires special treatment because of his shortcomings!). So, good luck to you and Finn and banish any reservations you have regarding his age - just go and enjoy yourselves :)

Anne123 and selina27 like this.