Starting out, advice

Discussion in 'The Gundog Club and The Gundog Trust' started by Labkim, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Labkim

Labkim Registered Users

Gundog trials are something I have thought about a lot but have no idea how or when or even if its possible to get started in this field, and my only concern would be he is so good with our own rabbits etc is there an area of the sport where they pick up 'dummies'? Im so sorry if that's a really stupid question, thanks :)

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Starting out, advice

Gundog tests usually use dummies, these are held in the summer. Join a gundog club if you can and have a few lessons which they run during the summer months and then go from there ;D

3. Labkim

Labkim Registered Users

Excellent, thank you for that :) I will get investigating :)

4. hd

hd Registered Users

The gundog tests may well be the right place for you to start.

There are books for the lower grades to help you to see hwat needs to be done to pass. It's really interesting and gives a structure to your training.

http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/?page_id=984

hope that helps

5. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

[quote author=Labkim link=topic=3678.msg41445#msg41445 date=1387137256]
    Gundog trials are something I have thought about a lot but have no idea how or when or even if its possible to get started in this field, and my only concern would be he is so good with our own rabbits etc is there an area of the sport where they pick up 'dummies'? Im so sorry if that's a really stupid question, thanks :)
    [/quote]

I would keep an eye on local events, game fairs etc that are hosting rounds of gundog competitions, go along and make your interest known.

I personally went along to watch a few trials run by BASC and it's all dummy based. Good to watch and a friendly bunch of people

I don't trial my dogs basically due to lack of HPR trialling in my area. The closest trial for us is a 7 hour round trip. I have pointing trials within 20 minutes of my door but they won't allow HPR breeds to compete.