Starting to show her age?

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by David, Jan 20, 2018.

1. David

David Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It was a "Young Shots" day on the shoot today. I took Lady beating. We generally had a lovely time of it. Lady likes working and doing stuff for me. I think she prefers it to being a peg dog which she is most of the time these days. Lots of looking at me for direction, and lots of waggy tail. We did three drives in all. She flushed two separate birds from a ditch on the first drive. She scented both birds hunkered down in the dead bracken. On the third drive I sent her in pursuit of a runner that a spaniel had given up on. She caught it after a bit of a song and dance in and out of brambles and brought it back ok, handing the "goods" over without putting it down, but she was exhausted. We only had one more drive to do but I decided she needed to stop and so I walked her back to the car an easy slow half mile down the farm lane. She's been unconscious ever since we got home about 4 hours ago.

She's eight and a half and I think she's starting to show her age. She's pretty much a house pet most of the year so not as fit as she could be if, for example, I had a more active life. Sign of time marching on a bit too quick for my liking, I think.

Lovely dog - but then again I'm biased!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Cath, FayRose, Naya and 3 others like this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw bless her.
    Do you think this year she has dropped her activity levels hence her stamina?

3. David

Actually I hadn't thought of that. My activity levels certainly pretty much fell to hardly anything with my various joint replacements so that probably hasn't helped. She is definitely slowing down though. She still goes ballistic at the postman, but she didn't bother to get off the sofa when the boiler man came to do some repairs! She just raised her head then went back to sleep.

selina27 likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Maybe a sign of maturity :D

I know Lilly has dropped some muscle off her back end pury because work has been PANTS and walks have decreased.

David likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think at 8 and a half, that she is as enthusiastic as ever, but that she just doesn't have the stamina she had at three years old. Much like us middle-aged humans, really...

David, selina27 and drjs@5 like this.
  6. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

For 8 and a half years old I think she does amazingly well :)

David likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Maybe time for a new little friend to join the pack, David?? ;)

kateincornwall and David like this.
  8. David

9. MF

MF Registered Users

It feels that way, doesn’t it. Especially with our dogs having such short lives compared to us. I find it heartbreaking.

10. David

Indeed! Well she doesn't often go beating and is mainly a peg dog so I think she'll enjoy coming with me for a year or two yet - well I hope so anyway.

drjs@5, selina27, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  11. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Good for her. I love reading about our dogs doing what they were bred for and what they really want to do. Keep enjoying it Lady :)

Cath, selina27 and David like this.
  12. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah... maybe you need another pup, David? So Lady can have a bit of a break on the peg. :)

13. David

I would love to have another pup at some point but .......

drjs@5 and Karen like this.