Steep Stairs.....any ideas......

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 10, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hi everyone

Bella was 12 weeks yesterday. As I've mentioned before, I live in an upstairs downstairs type house, so living room and kitchen are upstairs. This means I have to carry Bella up and down the stairs to get to the outside toilet. I'm just wondering when I could start letting her walk up and down, she has already attempted the first step on her own but then stops.

I'm aware that she shouldn't really be climbing any stairs, into cars etc until she's older ( my breeder said until she's almost one?!! ) but I'm wondering what others thought? Shall I keep going until she's too physically big to carry? We are moving when she'll be 7 months...... but she will be far too big by then. I'm just worried as don't want to cause any damage to her developing joints etc? Any advice?

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Steep Stairs.....any ideas......

I would keep carrying. I still lift Chepi in and out of the boot of the car, only occasionally allowing her to jump out - she's 8.5 months. I think 12 weeks is too young to be doing stairs; it's not just the odd time, your pup would do stairs several times every day.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I would care as long as you're able to. I had to stop lifting Riley out of the car because I was pregnant and choose between poor heelwork or driving and letting him jump in and out. It was a quandry but I think you do the best you can for as long as possible.....then you make a choice :)

4. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Bob is 5 months old now and goes down our stairs on his own. I do try and restrict his access as much as possible but he does use them quite a bit as that is how you get in and out of the house. I physically can't lift him now.. he's 15kg and a fidget! I can just about get him into the car but there is no way I could manage a flight of stairs, it would be hazardous!

Lou x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=9453.msg136060#msg136060 date=1420883033]
    I think you do the best you can for as long as possible.....then you make a choice :)
    [/quote]

Yup, that's it. I carried Charlie for just as long as I could, then he just had to do the steps. I still lift him (28.8kg*) out and in cars - but have trained him to put his front paws up so i just have to lift his bottom. I let him jump out of my volvo onto grass, but always lift him out of my defender. He never jumps onto hard surfaces. Then of course on walks he scales banks at the side of Cornish hedges and jumps down from a height above my head. ::)

* Charlie got weighed last night. I've been struggling to keep him at his target of 28kgs, and kept thinking he looked too thin so couldn't cut food down any further. The strict Scottish vet nurse gave permission for his target weight to now be just under 29kgs, as he has filled out so much (not fat!) in the last year and his target of just under 28kgs was from when he was 10 months old. Charlie wants a party! ;D ;D ;D

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Don't eat it all at once Charlie....oh hang on you are a Labrador....you will eat all the extra in one gulp and 3 seconds! X

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I lift the pups in and out of the car, too. When I open the crate, Willow launches herself at me, front paws over my shoulder, to be lifted down. I really need to do something about that, because she occasionally catches me in the face with a claw :eek:
    Shadow is a lot more chilled out about it, but he has jumped out himself a couple of times when we were sorting out Willow. Something we really don't want him to be doing just yet, especially since it's a very high car.
    *adds to training schedule*

:)

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks everyone I'll keep carrying for now.. Just hope the puppy sitter will too..... ::)

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Explain to the puppy sitter and show him/her some info, like an article about it or state it is what the vet has advised. Having a serious conversation about it with the puppy sitter might go a long way.

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

At 4 months old Harley started sleeping upstairs with us. Due to my spinal problems I couldn't carry her up and down. Instead I put her on lead and walked very slowly up and did the same going down. At 17 months old now she still walks up and down slowly :) I know it's not ideal, but sometimes you have to adapt to what's best for you.

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9453.msg136418#msg136418 date=1421008552]
    At 4 months old Harley started sleeping upstairs with us. Due to my spinal problems I couldn't carry her up and down. Instead I put her on lead and walked very slowly up and did the same going down. At 17 months old now she still walks up and down slowly :) I know it's not ideal, but sometimes you have to adapt to what's best for you.
    [/quote]

I've been told on a lead slowly is a good idea also , like you say you do what you have to do.