Stella keeps biting pants

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Shaina Carey, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey Registered Users

Ugh. Stella is 5 months old and she keeps biting our pants every time we come inside from outside. How can we stop it? I have so many black and blue marks on my ankles

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Shaina, if coming in from outside is a trigger for over excitement you need to change what you do at that point. So for example, if you usually take of her collar and leash just let her trail it around the house until she is calmer. Try introducing a routine distraction that you have prepared in advance. A treat dispenser for example, with some of her food in. Together with very low key calm interaction from you. Or simply some treats scattered on the floor. A few minutes in her crate with a frozen kong is another alternative.

3. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

We have this issue except with Oakley randomly jumping up and grabbing at my jacket. It comes out of no where. Yesterday I was simply walking not even engaging him and he jumped up on my back and grabbed the middle of my jacket. I stopped immediately and ignored it but he kept jumping and biting, I had to try and grab his collar to carry him to his "time out" spot but he just bites and bites. There is no time we can tell when he goes into these moments. Last night after being in his crate we took him out to take him potty, we never make a big deal of it, walking out there and there him trotting along side of me when out of no where again he jumps up biting my hands and arms, and not gentle either. He will be 5 months on Sunday, does this period end soon?

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, this is more common in puppies that live in families where some people engage the puppy in physical play. So the puppy thinks that rough play is normal. If that's the case you can help speed up an end to this behaviour by making sure that all the family play with the puppy through training games rather than contact games. It can also help to make trigger events - this often happens more outdoors - more interesting, so again training games, fetch, tug etc. Anything where you control how the game starts, proceeds, and finishes. And that does not involve touching the dog with your hands.

More info here: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/excited-puppy/

EmmaHughes likes this.