Stinky Ziggy!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Ziggy has that lovely puppy smell which I'm sure will disappear very quickly but oh dear - he has stinky, stinky breath! It's not just normal dog breath - it's super xxx rated dog breath!!
    I'm wondering whether it might be the food I'm giving him? He's currently having Step Up To Naturals puppy kibble and I'm thinking of gradually changing to a better brand.
    So two questions:
    Any kibble recommendations (UK) would be great and any ideas to get rid ( or even reduce) stinky breath?
    Puppy kisses aren't much fun when puppy has 'breath of satan'.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How old is Ziggy? He's still a young puppy, I think, too early for teething? That can make their breath smell. Can you check his teeth to see if there's any food in them, or any unusual gaps, abrasions etc? I'd be a bit concerned about persistently bad breath (other than simply bad immediately after eating) and would want to get it checked out. It may be a diet thing, that his current food is giving him too much or too little of a certain nutrient, but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what. I think asking someone with experience is a good idea :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's unusual for a pup to have stinky breath - I think I'd pop him to the vet for a quick check up xx

4. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Thank you for the replies - I will try to check his teeth.
    He has been to the vet for his 'brand new puppy ' check and I mentioned that he had stinky breath but she didn't seem at all concerned. Hopefully it'll be as easy as trying a different food...

5. Ziggys mum

Ziggys mum Registered Users

Hullo ziggy from aussie ziggy

Lozzz31 likes this.
  6. BarbWireBlondie

BarbWireBlondie Registered Users

Hi Lozzz31,
    How would you describe the smell of Ziggy's breath? Because I've noticed my Alex has smelly breath, but his smells very strongly of rubber and is caused by his Kong toys. Makes you wonder if Kong's are safe for them as they stink so much.

Lozzz31 likes this.
  7. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi bro!

8. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

No - it's not a rubbery smell - it's a sort of nasty meat smell
    I quite like the smell of Kongs!

9. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi bro!

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley had really stinky breath when he came home. It used to really make you want to run a mile.

I think it was the food he was on, it cleared up after we switched his food. :)

Lozzz31 likes this.