Strange upset tum

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Desmo, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Desmo

Desmo Registered Users

Hi all, my 4 1/2 month old lab pup has had an upset tum now for a few weeks. He's starts the day with a perfectly normal poo and as the day progresses they get sloppier and sloppier. Oh and the wind is just awful! Des is really well, bright and like most puppies into everything. He's fed James Wellbeloved puppy kibble. This is the third lab pup I've had over the years and I don't remember having this problem before! Oh and he is a poo eater (his own) but I watch him like a hawk so I get to it before he does. Any thought guys would be appreciated.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Strange upset tum

Has your pup been checked for Giardia? I fed one of mine on James Wellbeloved and although it is an excellent food, it didn't suit him and gave him loose poo!

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It could be some kind of allergy, or a bug, hard to say....have you talked with the vet about it?

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would get him checked over by the vet

5. Desmo

Desmo Registered Users

Thanks, I've booked him in to see our vet this afternoon x

6. Desmo

Desmo Registered Users

I don't think it's Giardia as he's treated monthly with Advocate but I'm taking him to the vets this afternoon to hopefully sort.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think that Advocate would treat Giardia, which is a single-celled organism. Advocate treats worms, mites and lice.

Hope you get to the bottom of it at the vet :) Let us know how you get on.

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

The best thing is to go to the vet and get him checked. If his first poo of the day is normal and then gets looser it could be you are feeding too much.

How many times does he go ? When mine were pups I think the most they went was three times a day. Again too much food will obviously make him go more.

It could also be that the food doesnt suit him.

The important thing is to rule out any bugs though and then go from there.

9. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=8005.msg112824#msg112824 date=1411719838]
    I don't think that Advocate would treat Giardia, which is a single-celled organism. Advocate treats worms, mites and lice.

Hope you get to the bottom of it at the vet :) Let us know how you get on.
    [/quote]

Exactly right. Gardia is a bacteria & advocate is an anti-parasite treatment. It wont have any effect on Gardia.

10. chrism

chrism Registered Users

Hey, Desmo. How are you making out with your puppy. We're going thru something here that might be similar. Our pup was getting into all sorts of stuff in the garden. The vet told us to cut leaves, weeds, dirt etc out of her menu. We are re-treating her for campylobacter, which is fairly common here with erythro S. She's on a special food which is easy on her tummy, fortified with probiotics. Everything seems back to normal again. We'll know after a few more days.

11. Desmo

Desmo Registered Users

Hi guys , tests show no Giardia and nothing else lerking. Ive had him on a bland diet and everything back to normal . Over the past few weeks I've started introducing new probiotic food and taking it really slowly, so far so good. Thanks to everyone who replied, really appreciated.

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad he seems better,I had a young dog with a very sensitive tum and it took a while to stabilize him on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food,he does really well on it now x

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad things are getting better :)