Submissive urination in puppies - what to do!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, May 27, 2015.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

It's good to know that this is normal behaviour, as it's something that has worried me a few times with Juno when greeting someone. My most vivid memory is of Juno weeing on my hand as I lifted her out of the car when she saw her doggy friends as we joined them for a walk :D. She's also managed to wee in the vets, when our dog trainer came to see her after her operation and one morning after arriving at hydrotherapy :rolleyes:

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow weed in the vets during one of her post-spay appointments. She was so stressed, poor little lamb. It's the only time she's done it that I know of, although one of them (not sure which) had a little "dribble" when the guys that bred them came by one day.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

Watch out for boy pups that do this - they often roll on their backs then get you in the eye when you go in for a tummy rub :)

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehehe! Luckily, if it was Shadow, it was a one-time occurrence. No eyes were squirted in the process :)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Human baby boys are experts at this technique too ;)

7. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Tess does this when she meets new people, we know to expect it now and make sure they watch their feet!!

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I rescued a Collie Cross 20 years ago that was very nervous and would wee when she did anything she thought might be naughty.

I made no fuss and gave her lots of love and it stopped.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Really strange - when I picked Charlie up from the vet school, he came in to a small consulting room to greet us, and when the surgeon when to show us how to do the PROMs Charlie laid on the floor, wagged his tail, and had a wee. I have never known Charlie to do such a thing since he was a tiny puppy (when he did used to do "excitement wees" and once had a wee on my neighbour's shoe). I think he was stressed. The vet said it was because Charlie was excited, but I'm not quite buying that. He was still a bit sleepy from the drugs, and I've seen Charlie seriously excited and he has never had a wee as an adult....hmmm....maybe the drugs made him "revert" to baby behaviour? Perhaps....

10. pippa@labforumHQ

I would think the drugs Julie, he was probably still a bit fuddled and not quite in control :)