Successful 'high value' treats

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Widgeon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

What are some of the more popular high value treats that you've found?

I have tried cooked chicken (the supermarket sort that might be used for sandwiches or salads)
    He doesn't seem to go mad for it. Maybe the economy brand is to 'cheap'

I have heard of sardines but they sound quite messy for carrying around?

Now the season has finished I'm upping the anti on his training!!!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Successful 'high value' treats

I steam a chicken breast and cut it up into small pieces or sausages, cheese are all favourites with my two. Sardines are a good high value treat and I put them in a small plastic box that fits into my pocket and my dogs can eat straight out of it for a good recall etc. Some people use pouches of cat meat, I haven't tried it but what ever works :) How about dried liver treats, hot dog sausages, ham, bacon the list is endless you just got to find out what floats Widgeons boat. Good luck :)

3. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

How about making some of your own ? Ive just this minute made some from the banana heel recipe on here, adding some peanut butter to the mix. Its cheaper you can make loads and store them, and you can make them super healthy, I used low fat coconut milk, three old bananas two tablespoons of peanut butter, and flour (use rice flour if not good with wheat ). Next one Im going to do is the mackeral shmakoos, but using pilchards. Maggie

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My everyday high value treats are sea biscuits from fish for dogs. Cheese next, then roast beef. Chicken is somewhere around the sea biscuit level, so don't it that much (only because sea biscuits are easier).

Day to day jackpots (or bribes, sometimes ;D) are fish for dog sea wraps and salmon strips. Like Helen, mega jackpots are sardines carried in a small box.

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

my high value treats are , sausage,salmon, sardines,

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

3 treats allowed that make 4 level:
    Kibble = basic
    Medium = steamed chicken
    High level = roast chicken
    Jackpot....hot roast chicken
    X

7. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley's favourite treat is cheese, then chicken (roast or steamed), sausages then fish cubes. I think it depends on what your dog likes?? Worth experimenting ;)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have tried the cat food pouches.
    Go equipped with some wet wipes and a clothes peg (the latter to either close the packet or pop on your nose ;) )
    Biggest problem is getting rid of Lilly once she knows I have it ::)

10. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=4407.msg53515#msg53515 date=1392065281]
    I have tried the cat food pouches.
    Go equipped with some wet wipes and a clothes peg (the latter to either close the packet or pop on your nose ;) )
    Biggest problem is getting rid of Lilly once she knows I have it ::)
    [/quote]

same here, thats the only thing barley will go mad for, cat food, once he know's you have it, no getting rid of him, he watches me like a hawk

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm getting me some cat food pouches ;D ;D

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha, me too!!!!

We find sliced up hot dog frankfurts to be quite good. We buy a bunch, slice them up thinly (about 2mm thick) and freeze them in small ziplock bags. Very convenient. Still, I don't think they'd beat cat food :)

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Little pieces of sausage do it for my two every time , well most of the time ;) Trouble being that I end up being like the Pied Piper in off lead areas ;)

14. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

I made some 'banana heel' last night. It seemed to take a lot if flour to get the mixture to turn to dough. After cooking was a bit like potato cake consistency. I used plain flour, would I have been better with rice flour?

Still he seems quite keen, not really tested him but he ran into his pen for a bit.

I also got some liver bites - 100% cattle liver chunks - core they smell. Again he seems keen.

I see no one suggests spam, i assume there is no reason why I can't try that? Didn't know if there was something in it that dogs can't have?

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't expect that there'd be anything wrong with using Spam :)

Dried liver is pretty aromatic, that's for sure. Not as bad as your more pungent variety of bully stick, however :eek:

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=4407.msg53593#msg53593 date=1392114549]
    I see no one suggests spam, i assume there is no reason why I can't try that? Didn't know if there was something in it that dogs can't have?
    [/quote]

I'm sure Labradors would love it. Spam can be very high in salt. Because I use a lot of treats, I try to use things that are not a million miles from the make up of the kibble he has (hence the sea biscuits). If you are not, unlike me, feeding most of the food in treats I shouldn't think it that would be so important.

17. Jenni_Tomkinson

Jenni_Tomkinson Registered Users

I make Liver fudge ( I have the recipe if anyone wants it!) or buy hot dogs and cut them into little discs.
    Tinned sardines are used as jackpot rewards for us :)

18. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

[quote author=Widgeon link=topic=4407.msg53593#msg53593 date=1392114549]
    I made some 'banana heel' last night. It seemed to take a lot if flour to get the mixture to turn to dough. After cooking was a bit like potato cake consistency. I used plain flour, would I have been better with rice flour?

[/quote]

I made some banana heel the other day when I walked past the fruit bowl and realised there were bananas there none of us would be prepared to eat any more... My two loved it. I did find it took a lot of flour though, and I made so many I froze some. They seem to like them best when they have been left out to dry out though, rather than that sort of potato cake consistency they had when I cooked them.
    Clare

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Would love the recipe for Liver Fudge please.

20. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

I made the banana heel to, but added in some peanut butter, and used low fat coconut milk to make it a wee bit healthier. I think rice flour would maybe be a better bet, as regards allergies digestion, but i didnt have any. I also made, a biscuit that i sort of made up, which was a can of pilchards in tomato sauce, some left over vegetable soup, one egg, and flour. Pilchards are really cheap, and I used tinned soup, but come to think of it you could most soups. These went down very well, sardines or tinned salmon for posh biscuits could also work. Maggie x