Supermarket raw

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Stephg1801, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree @selina27, I periodically consider raw feeding and then feel overwhelmed by everything I read and decide against it! But I really like the idea.
    Our last family dog was fed tripe (cow's stomach). My mum used to go to the abattoir where tripe was dropped whole into a bag, mum would take it home, cut it up and freeze. It stank but the dog loved it. This was in late 70s/80s, I feel my mum was ahead of the times!

If I could see a menu, you know, like a daily feeding plan, laid out, I might feel more confident.

selina27 and kateincornwall like this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My best ever freebie came from a fisherman who had been early to Golitha Falls . I was also early that morning and met him as he was going back to his car , I asked if he had any luck , he replied yes but he wasn't too keen on fish and would ask around if anyone wanted his catch when he got home . Never one to miss an opportunity , I asked what he had in his bag , I came away with four sea trout and am not ashamed to say that Sam only got one of them !

selina27 likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well good heavens I remember my parents eating it and thinking it such a treat.:puke:
    Everyone else would leave the room...perhaps it was part of a cunning plan.
    Maybe, or perhaps it was accepted wisdom. I sometimes think we lose that as we make undoubted progress in other ways.
    I often think of our family Springer, who lived until he was 15 on household scraps, with maybe a tin of Lassie once a week.
    Of course, times are different now, my Mum cooked every day for 7, well, there were scraps then. I don't remember him ever going to the vets, except maybe for his ears.

Plum's mum likes this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My Mother bought 'lights' from the butcher, lungs, heart and other odd bits and cooked them all up. The cats had fish boiled. I prefer kibble :D

Don't remember my childhood dogs and cats going to the vet either, but not many vets about in those days!

selina27 and Plum's mum like this.
  5. Plum's mum

Yes, you're absolutely right - about losing accepted wisdom as we make progress in different ways. If we compared all the differences in dog raising from the 70s to now it would make for horrifying and hilarious reading in equal measure!

Our family labs used to eat apple cores, grapes and chocolate. Apple cores were fed every time one of us ate an apple, grapes were fed because our last lab loved them and she would politely take them off the stalks. She even ate a box of chocolate brazils bought for my birthday! The only result was a big fat waggy tail! We had no knowledge then that choc or grapes were bad for dogs.

kateincornwall and selina27 like this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just read this, it reminds me of when I was a kid watching our family dog drink from a roadside puddle and asking how come it was alright for him to do so but not us. I was told that dog's have a special filter in their tummys that meant they could deal with the dirt in things and wouldn't be poorly !! I don't even know which family member it was who said that, but for some reason it stayed with me, never knew whether to believe it or not, if they made it up or not.

kateincornwall, Plum's mum and MF like this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Same here , we had a huge grape vine on our farm in France , our dogs used to eat the ones they could reach , then we came back to the UK and read that grapes were poisonous !

Plum's mum and selina27 like this.
  8. mirlew47

mirlew47 Registered Users

I just started raw feeding, and believe me - it's a lot easier than some websites/sources make it out to be. Yes there is a little bit of thinking you have to do, but there are basic and easy guidelines to follow. I totally understand the overwhelming-ness of all the information, but it totally comes down to just doing it. When I started I figured out how much I needed to feed my labs. It's based off of their body weight. I feed them 2% of what they weigh, so one gets 1.5lbs of food a day and the other gets 1.1lbs of food per day. A mistake that I made right off the bat was getting too worried about percentages and "balancing meals" but the balance in their diet comes over time, not with every meal, so it's okay to fudge on the percentages a little. I've read about people feeding a diet that has raw and kibble incorporated (not in the same meals because that can lead to digestive upset) and there are other stories about doing it one way or another - there are actually so many routes you could take to start raw feeding.

Though, it is a good idea to READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. There are a bunch of supportive facebook groups you can join where people just ask questions.

I'd be more than happy to share my menus with you :)

Plum's mum likes this.
  9. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :)

We feed our dog a fair bit of raw meaty food and definitely it isn’t difficult. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing either - you can just feed a raw meaty meal for some meals (eg a couple of chicken wings now and then) and kibble the rest of the time.

(It is actually not a problem to mix kibble and meat/bones in the same meal :) )

snowbunny likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We feed some raw, meaty bones, chicken wings, legs, carcasses in with their kibble and no problems. My dogs are 10 years and 6 years old and very active and healthy :)

11. MF

MF Registered Users

Agree, raw feeding is easy. Perhaps not as easy as scooping a cup of kibble into a bowl. But it’s not rocket science, or that time-consuming once you get a system going.

I also worried excessively when I started feeding this way 5 years ago. Since stopping worrying about getting it perfect, things are SO much better!! Of course one needs to ensure your dog is properly nourished. A little research and planning is needed, and then stop worrying!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  12. Plum's mum

That would be fantastic (menu sharing) if it wasn't too much trouble?

13. Snowy

Snowy Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sorry, I had to stop reading at that point :eek:

MF and edzbird like this.
  14. Aitch

Aitch Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:cwl::cwl:

15. Aitch

Aitch Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What put me off raw feeding was all the worry about getting all the nutrients right. For instance, how much calcium would they be getting from X number of boney meats and how much oil is in this, that or the other. However, I do know that a lot of people do it highly sucessfully and their dogs benefit greatly from it.

16. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Hehehe :D I won’t tell you which bits Obi likes best.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  17. mirlew47

Not at all.
    When you start raw feeding it's recommended to start with chicken or even turkey because its not as rich as the red meat. So we did different variations of a chicken/turkey meal.
    For one of my dogs who gets 1.5lbs day, we are used to him having tummy issues normally so to "counter balance" any upset tummies we upped the bone content when we started so their poops wouldn't be runny. Since we started we've had no runny poop. They might have been fine without the extra bone and it certainly is NOT a requirement. Use your judgement with your own pups. I also didn't follow very strictly the 80/10/5/5 (it's not recommended to add organs so early because it could cause upset tummies) I did more of a 60meat/40bone
    I didn't plan out the meals really, just looked at what I had in the fridge and what needed to be used and threw some meals together
    ... this is what his week #1 menu looked like:
    Day 1: 4 chicken drumsticks (~2oz/drum), 2 chicken backs, and 8oz whole ground turkey
    Day 2: Turkey thigh (6-8oz), 10 oz ground turkey, raw egg
    Day 3: 3 chicken backs, 4oz gizzards, chicken thigh, 8oz ground turkey
    Day 4: 16oz ground turkey, 2 chicken backs, raw egg

By Day 5 his poops were still fine so we decided to add beef as another protein.
    Day 5: 2 chicken backs, 8oz ground beef, 8oz ground turkey, chunk of beef lung

The other dog got the same meals, just a little less because she weighs less.

I didn't worry about adding any vitamins or supplements until Day 6 or 7. They get a multivitamin, prebiotic/probiotic, and joint supplements.

I can give you more if you'd like.

18. Plum's mum

Thank you so much @mirlew47, this is so helpful. :)

19. mirlew47

You're welcome! It's something I wish someone could have done for me when I first started, so I'm just happy to help.