Switching dry foods

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dogboy, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dogboy

Dogboy Registered Users

Meg is 6 months old and has been on purina pro plan since we picked her up from the kennels at 2 months. She has this 3 times a day. Trouble is with her increased portion sizes she's going through a bag within 10 days and at 15 quid a pop it's getting a bit expensive!
    I've read differing info on how safe it is to switch foods before she's 12 months. I've been eyeing up a couple of different brands that seem ok and are about a third of the price.

Any advice people?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Switching dry foods

It is perfectly safe to switch foods , is she on puppy food ? If so , maybe think about switching to Junior fairly soon and then , at the same time , gradually introduce the food of your choice . I must admit that I haven't ever switched food gradually and my two have never had any bad effects from doing an immediate switch, but as she is only a baby, best to take it slowly , mixing the new food with the old and gradually increasing the new one over a period of a week or two . As regards to which food, its a minefield out there to be honest , almost too much choice and very confusing , try to go for a good quality food that doesn't have a filler as its main or first listed ingredient , good luck :)

3. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

always best to transition over at least a week...easier on their tums that way.

I've been doing lots of research on foods lately, and their miraid of ingredients. Here in the US...I avoid anything with wheat, corn, and soy since they are all potentially GMO and are also prone to allergies...and also try and avoid anything with artifical colors...there are many better choices out there in my opinion. I figure I want to go as natural/organic/holistic as possible with my dogs, and give her something as high quality as what I give myself. I also research brands for their recall history and where they are sourcing their ingredients.

Good luck with your search. I hope you can find something that meets your own criteria, and that your Meg will enjoy and do well on. :D

4. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

We switched when Bailey was 3 months after two days of chicken and rice due to upset tummy, worked a treat!