Tail chasing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by UncleBob, Nov 4, 2013.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi all,

Harvey is now 10 weeks old and growing fast (his weight has doubled in the 2 weeks we have had him - although I think he was a touch on the light side to start with). In the last couple of days he has developed a fascination with chasing and biting his tail. I know its a fairly common perception that dogs like to chase their tails but is it really normal? It looks odd! ::)

Oh, and an unrelated question. I know lots of you stuff Kongs with things like peanut butter for while your dogs are in their crates. Is this OK for puppies too or is it best left until he is a little older? (Don't want to give him an upset stomach)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Tail chasing

Charlie went through a phase of chasing his tail - I thought it was super cute. He soon gave up. Although he'll still do it now and again if super excited. ;D ;D ;D I think it's a silly puppy thing.

Can't help on the peanut butter. I have the only labrador in the world that hates the stuff. He won't touch it!

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

julie is the expert on stuffed kongs,....jasper is not food driven,.....so no interest in kongs :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Not sure on the peanut butter for a pup....and I never stuff the whole Kong with just peanut butter. Soaking the kibble in water to make it soft, frozen bananas, yogurt, small bit of peanut butter, even a bit of bread - often the kongs around here are stuffed with a combination of all of these things.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Er Dexter says is this post a wind up? ;D

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie won't eat peanut butter either Julie but Charlie can't get enough of it ::)

Yep, natural yoghurt, banana, and everything else that has been suggested, although I don't give them that often.

Not had tail chasing either.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley is 13 weeks old and loves chasing her tail :) it is soooo funny, usually happens when she is excited!

As for the kong.......I brought a teething kong for puppies which has slits on the outside which you can stuff.......nowhere near as much as you would need to stuff a standard kong. I use peanut butter, or mashed banana, or kibble pre-soaked. Harley loves all of these things :(

Hope this helps ;)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3165.msg33767#msg33767 date=1383625816]
    Er Dexter says is this post a wind up? ;D
    [/quote]

Got to keep a sense of humour Angela! ;D

9. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tail chasing is great fun. It's so funny when they're going so fast they lose their balance and fall over. :)