Taking the pups to the beach this weekend!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Nov 28, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The weather is due to be horrible, but friends are going to their place on the coast to close up for the winter and they've asked us along, too. They're the friends that have the other littermate, Annie, so it will be their first introduction together. I'll be interested to see if they enjoy it yet. I think Willow will paddle and Shadow will run away from the waves. I'll have to take some video. Annie's big "brother" Buster loves the sea,so he may encourage them in a bit more.

Any tips or things to be aware of? It's a very clean beach so there shouldn't be anything nasty hanging around for them to eat and I'll make sure they've had a good drink before we go in so they don't want to drink the sea water.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Taking the pups to the beach this weekend!

All I'd say is let them go at their own pace ,would love to see them on video...
    after what you've said about the weather today will it be a bit bleak out there?love the beach when the weather is terrible .....I'm not right am I? ;D

3. snowbunny

Well, we're a three hour drive away, so it's not necessarily going to be as bad as here. If it's rough, obviously we won't let them in, although the "doggy beach" is pretty sheltered.
    It's a very dramatic place to be when the weather's bad, so I'm hoping for it either to be nice or really horrible; hopefully not just grey and dreary!

4. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Make sure you have a loud whistle in case they run into the wind and can't hear you shout to recall them, and keep on running as Jack & Barney did.......

Have a great time x

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Sounds like great fun! I loved the first time we took Maisie to the beach! Take lots of pics!

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=8936.msg127233#msg127233 date=1417194790]
    Make sure you have a loud whistle in case they run into the wind and can't hear you shout to recall them
    [/quote]

This would be my tip too :)

Also, take some fresh water and a bowl to the beach if you're going to be there for a while.

I'm sure you'll all have a ball. Hope the weather is either gorgeous or entertaining! :)

7. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hope you have lots of fun! Look forward to photos :D

8. snowbunny

We had a blast! I didn't need the water because the house is right on the beach. It's waaaaay too windy and wavy for them to go into the sea itself, but the on-shore wind has brought loads of seawater past the beach, making some huge puddles for the pups to play in. We met lots of people and other dogs, too, and our brood (three lab pups and one brute of a 4-year-old) were on their best behaviour. We stayed out way longer than the guideline 20 minutes, but they were having so much fun, we couldn't come back too soon. We'll go out again tomorrow with them again - hopefully the wind will have died down a bit. At least it's warm and not raining.

The pups are now all curled up together in the crate, absolutely shattered. I've taken lots of pics and video, but it was all a bit "point and shoot" so not sure if anything good has been caught. I'll have a look through when I get home tomorrow night. :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like a great time was had by all! :)

10. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Wow sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to the pictures.

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Look forward to seeing the photos :D

12. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Oooh, so glad you had fun!

You inspired me to grab the last rays of rare sunlight on Bournemouth beach - Merla thought this was a fabulous idea! Beach rules for us are 'running in allowed - if I throw it, you chase it' so there was a lot of running and swimming! Oddly, for late November, she was the only dog in the water ;D ;D ;D Even if she did disappear completely under the waves at some points :eek: But that was the only thing she wanted to do - water (and waves in particular) now rate higher up her favourites list than other dogs, and I'm starting to have confidence that she can swim her way out of any tricky patches. The only problem is that it doesn't make any dent on her energy levels - it got dark before she was in any danger of tiring ;D Didn't get any pics though - 100% attention needed!