Teeth Brushing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CBesteman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. CBesteman

CBesteman Registered Users

I am due to get my new puppy Poppy on the 26th April, and I have a quick question, do I need to invest in a tooth brush and tooth paste to clean Poppy's teeth everyday or would you recommend denta stix? There is some contradicting advise on the web, and I would like to draw from your collective experience to help. :)

Cheers
    Claire

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Teeth Brushing

Hi Claire, if you are intending to feed kibble, tooth brushing is probably a good idea.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I have got a finger toothbrush and toothpaste and brush Harley's teeth several times a week. It is not only good for their teeth but also for bonding :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Teeth brushing is a good idea :) You only need to do it the outside as their tongue tends to take care of the inside.

You can use a child's toothbrush or an 'ultra soft' adult toothbrush. Use doggy toothpaste. Just start with small steps - do the canine teeth first and reward with lots of treats after. Gradually build up to the other teeth. It's easiest if they are lying on their side on the ground.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Claire,start as soon as you can,even if you just feel like you are playing with a tooth brush and not really getting anywhere.,your pup is getting used to you putting a brush in their mouth.dexter was 5 months when I got him,my friend told me to start straight away,best advice ever.i can do a really good clean of Dexter now,I do it everyday,It takes a bit of practice to avoid getting your finger caught sometimes but it's so worht the effort ,good luck x