Teeth cleaning products

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by MrsB, Nov 17, 2014.

1. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Can anyone recommend what to use for teeth cleaning and where to buy it from? (online UK delivery best as not many shops where I live!)
    Ruby is 13 weeks so need to start with this ASAP!
    Thanks! ;D

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Teeth cleaning products

Hi there Mrs B.,welcome to the forum,good on you with the teeth cleaning ...if you are interested this is a thread that a few of us got involved in at the beginning of the Summer....

http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=6404.msg95164#msg95164

I use a human toothbrush,microfiber finger sock from a company called Lintbells and any toothpaste the vet stocks....I've also started putting a product called Dentagen in his water,it's colourless,odorless,and tasteless and is supposed to,prevent dental plaque and so I guess tartar forming...
    Dexter is 2 ,he came to us at 5 months and I've done them everyday since then...he's being sedated tomorrow to have his ears cleaned and I asked the vet if he could do his teeth while he asleep....he said they really don't need doing so I think it's made a difference,I'm glad my friend told me to start doing it straight away.
    Nice to meet you in the forum
    Best wishes
    Angela

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just want to commend you for planning a teeth cleaning regime for your dog :)

We use an ultrasoft human toothbrush with a small head, and dog toothpaste from the vet.

It's also important to avoid giving your dog things that are sweet or sugary as that will contribute to tooth decay (which dogs generally avoid if not fed sweet stuff). The main things you need to prevent are tartar build up and gum inflammation, and brushing will deal with both those things.

Raw, meaty bones - the kind with with crunchable bones wrapped in meat (like chicken thighs, rabbit, lamb necks...) - will also help to clean the back teeth (but don't always do such a good job of the front teeth, so that's where brushing can be very helpful).

4. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Thank you! Great advice. Will get looking at products.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I bought a doggy toothbrush and toothpaste from vetuk.co.uk. The toothbrush is double-ended and I'm only using the small end for now. Willow also gets meaty bones in her diet for an added bonus of cleaning.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, I use Lintbells tooth Polish which is 100% natural and I use the Lintbells Micro fibre finger cleaners instead of a toothbrush as they are softer and easy to reach the back teeth, Hattie & Charlie go nuts for it so teeth cleaning is not a problem :D The cheapest place I have found is www.vetuk.co.uk They also get bones a couple of times a week to help with the back teeth.

Good luck!! x :)

7. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Thanks for the weblink! Will look now!