Teething....how long does it go on???

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello Forum, my pup Cooper.....almost 5 months old....is teething (is doing a lot of biting, too!). How long does it take to get their "adult" teeth in? He had sort of stopped biting.....well, about 80%, but now he is back to biting everything.
    Just want to have a ball-park idea of how long until it is all over.....a week, two weeks, a month? I have not noticed any of his baby teeth falling out, either. Someone told me that I would notice teeth everywhere! I have not yet.
    Any info would be most helpful. Thank you.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Teething....how long does it go on???

Charlie started losing his needle baby teeth towards the end of month 4 - mid month 5 whoppers of back teeth started coming through, it was pretty much over by the end of month 6 although the teeth seemed to keep getting bigger a while after that (growing fully through no doubt).

So, a couple of months but only really dramatic for about a month.

I didn't find many teeth at all, I reckoned he swallowed them.

Um....the chewing got lots worse once he had his big teeth...

3. skooch

skooch Registered Users

Kenzi was pretty much the same as JulieT's, all teeth in by 6months . In addition over the past 2-3 weeks she has definitely been a lot more destructive with her teeth, she completely destroyed a golf ball on Saturday, although thankfully most of the destruction is restricted to outdoors.

I actually got lucky and I have about 4-5 of her baby teeth that ended up on the floor/crate whilst playing, they're in a little box now along with with her first collars :)

In terms of biting, I didn't really see it get better/worse with teething, it was just a gradual reduction in biting by trying to follow the bite inhibition process and that reduction seemed to continue through teething. She still bites a little but it tends to be when she's over excited to see people she hasn't seen in a while (so not me), or the occasional nibble of my ear when she's getting a hug.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I didn't notice any difference in Penny's mouthing and biting behaviour while she was teething, so perhaps this is also an adolescence thing for your Cooper. Keep on with the bite inhibition training and make sure you give him lots of appropriate things for him to chew on. Penny loved an old tea towel tied in a knot, soaked and then frozen - must have been soothing on her gums.

I saw maybe two teeth that Penny lost, I think they mostly swallow them or lose them in the garden or out on walks. Most indication we had was when she came back after fetching her ball and her mouth would be bleeding and we would think 'oh there goes another one!'

Skooch - just a note to say that golf balls are really not safe for dogs to have as they are basically like a ball of string inside and can become tangled inside the guy if chewed and swallowed it happened to a friends dog. Not to mention they're small enough to be swallowed whole or get stuck in the throat.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I think Sam swallowed most of his too , we only ever found one baby tooth , looking back I reckon he had all his adult teeth by 6/7 months of age x

6. skooch

skooch Registered Users

Lauren - yep she stole it during a shed clear out & ran away with it, she normally has access to balls tennis ball or larger. Thankfully she didn't swallow it & I eventually got it back but it was a reminder to be extra vigilant during general household tasks, either that or crate her.

7. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=skooch link=topic=7125.msg97846#msg97846 date=1406562088]
    Lauren - yep she stole it during a shed clear out & ran away with it, she normally has access to balls tennis ball or larger. Thankfully she didn't swallow it & I eventually got it back but it was a reminder to be extra vigilant during general household tasks, either that or crate her.
    [/quote]

Ok that's good. I shudder at the thought of people allowing their dogs to play with golf balls!

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Do any of you remember if, when teething, your pup started biting hard again?
    Cooper was doing less biting and now has started it all over again. I realize he is probably in pain but did this happen to any of you? He was a biting maniac until a couple of weeks ago....a real "crocodile".....and I really liked the "new and improved Cooper".....but now we are back to biting. Does it get better after his adult teeth come in???? Please say YES!!!!

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

YES!
    It definitely gets better Yvonne. Lilly has never been a chewer really, but when teething she was still a bit of a challenge. She loved to chase and grab either clothing or bodyparts :eek: mainly hands of course!
    She got put into time out a few times for it, particularly after the week when she managed to put holes in about 3 shirts, 2 jumpers and a pair of my OH's trousers.
    That was the week we wanted to send her back if I recall......
    Fear not, it will improve!

10. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

Hi, I'm also in the joyous teething stage with nearly 5 month old Amber. She has been a ferocious biter since day 1. I thought she was getting slightly better at 3-4months old (by better I mean there was an occasional day where I didn't get bitten). But in the last 2 weeks she has been horrendous again. All front adult teeth were through a few weeks ago. It's the backs falling out and coming through now. No sign of adult canines yet but she did have top two baby ones pulled out after snapping them which can slow adult ones down. She's very cheeky with the biting. I tried many different methods but if she can't get her bite fix she gets frustrated and gets more 'nasty' with it. So I now leave the room and closing the door for a couple of minutes, which is easier now I'm more confident in her house training. She doesn't really chew the house up but she is crate trained and is provided with a constant stream of chews. I haven't found any teeth to keep :( I think she swallows them. Another charming side effect I've noticed is awful awful breath in the last week, related to all the bleeding gums I think. Fingers crossed she improves again after 6/7 months old.

Her obsession with eating bird poo is my next challenge!! She particularly enjoys huge seagull poops (probably contributing to her foul breath). I have no recall when she's eating it so I can't even lure her away for treats because she turns deaf. So annoying because her recall has always been so good!!

In all other respects, we're getting better every day. She has now sort of learnt that in order to play fetch properly you have to give the ball back!! General obedience good too.