Teething questions!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jen123, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jen123

Jen123 Registered Users

Ok ladies and gents, so our Jasper is approaching 14 weeks now. We expect the razor sharp teeth to start coming out soon. I shan't miss that - my arms are covered in wounds most days!

I've seen lots of tips for when the puppies are teething but wonder if there's a particular sign he's started the process so we can help him as much as we can with the frozen tea-towels in knots frozen to sooth etc!

Do they tend to get more naughty in biting / nipping etc when it starts or moody?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You may see a fair amount of blood when he bites down on toys etc, although I didn't get this with my latest puppy. You may also find the teeth on the floor (don't stand on them - they hurt!) and maybe hear Jasper crunching them up. Most puppies also get pretty bad smelling breath for the duration.

And, of course, you'll see lots of holes where his teeth used to be :D

14 weeks is still pretty early, to be honest. I don't think mine started teething until about 4.5 - 5 months, if I remember correctly.

I found that there was a change in biting during teething, with my latest puppy (who was far more of a croc than my last two). There was a difference in how she bit - it was slower and obvious she got some relief from it, rather than doing it as part of a "kill" sequence.

Jen123 likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No Red didn't. I noticed some blood on one of her toys and we found several sharp little teeth on the floor - was pleased to see them out :). To be honest it wasn't a big deal and she was about 5 months old. She has the most pearly white teeth ever :).

4. Jen123

Jen123 Registered Users

Thanks for the hints. Am looking forward to slightly less dramatic biting!!!

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I always like to answer this question with my Oban example. Blood, yes. All over his Golden Retriever puppy friend's neck. I had no idea, neither did the GR's owner, till a lady stopped us to ask if the GR was all right. He was a very light coloured GR and his neck was RED. It happened again two weeks later. My friend had to wash her dog because it had dried on pretty well by the time she got back home. Thankfully none on her car upholstery. And she never found any teeth.

Jen123 likes this.